Logo

Frustration and confusion

Ernye

Hey fellas, new to the forum. Have a 2011 20hp tohatsu (mfs20c) that I run on a local river chasing salmon and trout. Was out last Friday and my motor quit on me. Sounded like a fuel issue so checked all the simple stuff first and sure bought my pick up lime fell off inside my external tank. So I put it back in place, went to fire her back over and nothing. Thought I may have sucked something up into my carburetor so I took it off cleaned all the jets, passageways etc put it back on and nothing. Took out my plugs and they were dry so I wasn’t getting fuel from my bowl to the cylinders. So I put a touch of gas directly into the cylinders and got her to go, thought I was in business but then I noticed I was t getting any water out of my piss hole. So I replaced the impeller, put everything back together today and now cannot get it to fire over again. Put a touch more gas in the cylinders and nada. Can it get her to run. What’s the deal? Any suggestions? This all started after my intake hose fell off.

When you say you put gas in the cylinders, how are you doing this?
If you know enough to clean your own carbs, I'm assuming you know enough to prime the line again, after re-attaching to the external tank.
Have you tried a can of starter fluid to get it to start, at least temporarily? I mean, just for the purpose of narrowing down the problem. If it will start & run when spraying starter fluid in the carb's intake, then you are getting spark, compression & air - leaving only a fuel problem. If that doesn't work, I'd start chasing down spark and compression issues.

Sorry your having the frustration. Kinda sounds like me over the past week.

I replaced the plugs, and gapped them. Spark is solid. Primer bulb is working fine. Getting plenty of fuel to my carb bowl. I don’t have a compression tester but I did put my finger over plug holes and it felt fine. Not a big fan of starter fluid for these small motors but like I said the motor ran on gas I put in the cylinders (small funnel) before I replaced the impeller. I realize the fuel and impeller issues are two separate problems, but I can’t muff test it without proper cooing. I ordered a new fuel pump last night, going to see if that does the trick. It just seems too coincidental that these issues sprang up as soon as my intake line fell off my external tank.
thanks for the response.

First, year of manufacture is irrelevant; model is everything.

Second, never replace just the impeller; do the complete wp kit. Lasts longer, pumps better, and is the same labor.

Third, there is a passageway in the bottom of the carb that feeds the plunger (accelerator pump). If that is clogged, the motor probably won't start.

Last edited:
Well Pvan, as stated it’s the mfs20c. Would you like serial numbers? Other than the impeller it’s the upper and lower pump housing that both looked fine. Doesn’t come with a gasket from the manufacturer so.. not much else to replace. Accelerator pump is clear and functioning normally. Thanks for the response though..

The wp kit comes with a new cup and wear plate, as well as gaskets. Important to tighten up the side clearances. A thousandth makes a huge difference.
Part #: 362873221M List Price (MSRP): $53.22

Why would you replace the fuel pump? Is it leaking, or not delivering properly? If you prime the carb, it should start regardless of whether the pump is working.
Is the accelerator pump delivering a shot of fuel when you turn the throttle? If not, the carb bowl passage needs cleaned out.

Back