Logo

1952 Mercury Super 10 Cruiser

Ram Jet

Contributing Member
I recently purchased a 1952 Merc. KH7. I'm about to give up on the Bendix/Scitilla magneto. I modified and installed some "2 spark" coils and new condensers, dressed the points and I ran it for about 2 1/2 hours in my 20 gal. garbage can. Then I thought I was ready for sea trials. It won't restart. I'm thinkingIMG_0786.jpg about a conversion to a Mark 20 Phelon mag. I'm looking for a source of a Phelon mag. I assume that I would have to obtain an armature and points cam to go with new unit. If anyone out there has a Phelon mag. they want to sell let me know. Since I can still get coils, condenser and points I don't care about that.

Just hunting.

Bill

That's the way to go, but you'll find getting parts--especially the points cam--a hard find. If you can find a rusted out Mark 15 out there it has all you need. Later KFs and KGs sometimes use the Phelon setup, but it's hit or miss. The Mark 25 setup is vastly different in the points cam and flywheel, so no help there.

On coils for a Phelon...new ones are getting hard to come by, but readily available OMC (don't tell anyone!) coils can be made to work. Let me know if you want to go this way.

Good luck, and please don't give up. That's a classic, special Merc.

Jeff

That's the way to go, but you'll find getting parts--especially the points cam--a hard find. If you can find a rusted out Mark 15 out there it has all you need. Later KFs and KGs sometimes use the Phelon setup, but it's hit or miss. The Mark 25 setup is vastly different in the points cam and flywheel, so no help there.

On coils for a Phelon...new ones are getting hard to come by, but readily available OMC (don't tell anyone!) coils can be made to work. Let me know if you want to go this way.

Good luck, and please don't give up. That's a classic, special Merc.

Jeff

Thanks for the words of encouragement Jeff. Yeah,when I bought it in July I had no idea that KH7 was only made for one year. I lucked out and don't have a version that overheats. I've got the proper 7/8 water pump impeller and the gear case has been drilled on the port and starboard sides. When I got it home I changed the gear case oil and dumped about 1/3 of a quart of Mobil 1 synthetic ATF down the throat of the intake manifold. The seller said the engine sat for the last 30 years. It would never have run anyway, the crankshaft seals were totally shot. The top seal was worn to an excess clearance of 0.059" and the bottom 0.080". Amazingly it's still got good compression. I won't give up on it even if I have to buy a 15 H.P. engine of another year and make for next summer. There's a guy on eBay selling a Mercury/Disston chainsaw coil for $85.00 and $6.95 shipping. Ouch!! I'm tempted to try them but for $183.90 I think I might better consider a Phelon and have it done with. I've got six or seven months to search for a solution. I woke up to 30 degrees on my outside thermometer today so the party is over for this year. I'll let you know and thanks. By the way a side hobby of mine is building static plastic models. I managed to find a very rare model of a 3 point hydroplane with a Merc on it. I pulled the unbuilt model kit out the other day to discover that the engine they supplied with the kit was a miniature KH7 - cool eh?

I'm gonna be like Pres. Trump and never give up.

Cheers,

Bill

Back