Logo

90 HP Johnson 2006 - Fuel/Power Issues

captmk62

2006 - 90 HP Johnson - Symptoms are 1 - When punching throttle it will go to 5000RPM and then immediately drop down to 4200RPM, 2 - If you pump the fuel bulb RPM increases to 5200RPM and will stay there as long as you pump bulb. 3 When running at 4200RPM if you go over some waves it will go up to 5200RPM. Things that were tried. 1 - Runs the same on Boat tank and external tank 2 - Replace VRO pump 3 - Vapor pump rebuilt 4 - Vapor Separator cover replaced. 4 - Pulse limiter replaced 5 - Vacuum hose to vro -pulse limiter replaced. 5 Needle valve in Vapor Separator replaced. 6 - All Clamps checked - 7 All Hoses checked 8 - New fuel filter. Carburetors were rebuilt before I purchased boat (I know that does not mean they were rebuilt correctly). Motor always runs the same, I can replicate any of these issues at any time.

Pumping the fuel bulb is helping something that is not working right in the system. Check the fuel side of the VRO again.

Carburetors do not come and go... if they're bad, they stay that way. Consider them to be okay. In pumping the fuel primer bulb, you're acting as a manual fuel pump... and that corrects the problem, indicating a faulty VRO (fuel pump) BUT you replaced the VRO.

Something is preventing your new VRO from supplying a proper fuel supply to the carburetors.

Back