Logo

Stripers!! The fish.... not the dancer...

Jdoughty

Anyone still fishing for stripers in the northeast? I've been so busy getting my boat going and working I haven't had time to get out this year. Actually haven't been striper fishing since I was a kid, been sticking to fresh water bass as i haven't had a boat that I could take out int the bays till this year. Never dared to take the old kayak out into big water hahaha

Didn't know if anyone wanted to share where they are still catching them, or maybe give me some pointers on bait or technique for this time of year.

Thanks
-James

cant say whats going on up iaround Maine....but there are plenty of stripers still biting down here in the Chesapeake Bay!

JDoughty - check water temps. I think the ocean stripers will start moving south when water temps get below 60 or so. But it mostly depends on what the bait (bunker) are doing.

Makomark - any size to the ones you're catching? Here in the lower Potomac and middle grounds, most are right small - under 20". Also, are you running into any of the larger bluefish?

chawk: I personally haven't been in the bay since early August....but I stop by the tackle shop and there are a few fishermen at work....same in the pax river and the western side of the bay regarding the stripers....most are saying the water hasn't cooled down like it normally does but the past couple days should change that.....I haven't heard of the chompers in any numbers. That could be due to many not having seen them for years....

I'm gonna try to get out on Saturday, as the local lobster men are claiming the bait are still running, but the waters cooling quick...

Jdoughty - good luck on that. Let us know how you do. Somewhere on the web there is a site that tracks the ocean stripers from Maine to NC. JUst search around for it.

Makomark - this summer the Potomac and western side of the bay had really low salinity, and this last 5" - 6" of rain hasn't helped. Had to go to the eastern side between channel markers 68 to 72 to find Spanish mac's and blues. Spanish were mostly scattered and the blues were barely keepable. Will try to get out this weekend and look around.

Back