Logo

Thread: power pack test

Default power pack test

How can I test a power pack on a V4 1985 Evinrude (single pack)

Default Re: power pack test

Do you have any spark at all... we could use a little explanation that makes a easy test available.
    We occasionally have questions. If you fail to answer, it may affect ours.

Yes.. it runs, but has an 'off-on-off-on-off-on' situation! I checked all the connections... all tight. Wires going to the power pack
    look good, no missing insulation. Not a fuel problem, definitely ignition!

I think you're saying that the engine has a sharp, rapid ignition breakup, cutting in and out constantly and fast. Is this at all rpms?

Temporarily remove the black/yellow wire from the ignition switch (eliminates the kill circuit) to see if that has any effect. NOTE that removing that wire makes it impossible to shut the engine down with the ignition switch.

Yes.. constantly and fast! I was gonna unplug the main harness plug while running. Wouldn't that eliminate any malfunctions?
    Thanks Joe...

Unplugging the main electrical harness could, and usually does, damage the engines battery charging system, namely the voltage regulator/rectifier assembly. Never a good idea to run the engine without the battery which is what that amounts to.

Ok... I'll disconnect the kill switch, but I doubt that is the problem (tho I hope it is!)

Disconnect the kill wire at the pack. If that cure the issue you needto find the intermittent short. Be careful never apply battery pos to the kill wire it will cook the PP in a split second.

Quote Originally Posted by kingsbiship View Post
    Ok... I'll disconnect the kill switch, but I doubt that is the problem (tho I hope it is!)
    Joe does not mean to disconnect the BLK/YLW wire permanently. He's just trying to walk you through troubleshooting the ignition system. If the problem goes away with the wire disconnected then it leads you in one direction (kill switch or wiring), if the problem persists then you need to look at other components: power pack, coils, etc.

KJ

I'm gonna get a power pack! It's the only thing that will make it act like this! (pretty sure) Anyone have a used power pack maybe?

Let us know what happens ????

Did you try the suggestion made by no less than 3 of the main contributors to the site?

A short on the kill circuit or any other multitude of issues could be causing this and without proper trouble shooting you could end throwing part after part at a 33 year old motor, which could see you still sitting with this problem with hundreds of dollars spent.

As an example something as simple as a faulty spark plug could also cause this (And just because it's new out of the box doesn't mean it works as it should.

Eng. still dies... not like before and rarely now! Fuel delivery was main problem! Primer ball was getting sucked flat.... restriction in tank!
    Removed sending unit for gauge and knocked off plugged sock (filter) at end of pick-up! Dies rarely for a second or two.. I'll investigate soon!