Logo

Fuel Pump

The VRO is the fuel pump that is capable of automatically mixing oil into the gasoline.--------Why the question ?------But your motor may have been fitted with a conventional pump too.------Best visit a shop to be sure or post pictures here.

Trying to help a friend. His boat has a separate oil tank and doesn't mix the fuel. You pump the hose, ball gets hard, starts and runs then dies. The bulb is soft.
If you keep pumping while running or lift the pump above the motor is will stay running. So I'm assuming it's a fuel pump issue. Any other input appreciated.
Thanks

??-----It has a separate oil tank but does not mix fuel.-----Explain that.------He does or does not mix fuel at 50:1 or the VRO is not working and has been bypassed.-----You have to sure and specific or the motor can be ruined easily.

There is a separate oil tank with 2 stroke oil only in it and a gas tank with only gas in it. The fuel pump mixes the two.

You pump the hose, ball gets hard, starts and runs then dies. The bulb is soft.
If you keep pumping while running or lift the pump above the motor is will stay running.
Yes, with separate oil tank and all lines connected the fuel pump is a VRO system that is mixing oil and gas automatically.

Before you dive too far into pumps or carbs do this simple test.

1) Remove primer bulb from the fuel line.
2) Place your finger lightly over the OUTLET side of the primer bulb.
3) Squeeze the bulb and with your finger tip feel for air coming out.

Does air come out? If yes, the siphon side of the bulb is working.

4) Now, squeeze the bulb and while hold it flat, place your finger over the OUTLET side of the bulb, press, and hold down.
5) Keeping your finger on the outlet and release your grip on the bulb.

Does the bulb stay flat and do you feel suction against your finger on the OUTLET side?

If it stays flat and suction remains then the bulb is good. At this point start looking at other culprits.

If you feel little, if any suction and the bulb springs back to shape that means your check valve in the bulb is shot and it's allowing fuel to drain back into the tank rather than keeping the line full.

I recently had an issue with my Evinrude 150 where the bulb took several squeezes to get firm and it would run fine, but after I sat at a fishing spot I would lose prime. I checked the bulb using the method above and it was junk. Replacing the bulb fixed the problem immediately.

The newer design bulbs are very short lived. They have crappy check valves and very poor rubber/ plastic composition. My 1967 Evinrude has its original bulb.....the old designs rarely failed. Why......enter the age of "throwaway". What happened to quality? ........There's no money in it for the manufacturers and engineers.

The newer design bulbs are very short lived. They have crappy check valves and very poor rubber/ plastic composition.
Yep, the bulb I replaced was only 3 years old. Checking the bulb is free for the OP and it sure sounds like the problem.

Back