Logo

BF130 Intermittent Alarm HELP

Pauloman

Hi All, I have twin Honda 130's on my boat, the starboard one gets an intermittent alarm after usage. Honda dealer in Oman has no idea...

1. it starts fine and runs fine
2. after an hour or so of usage it sometimes stalls at low revs and then when restarting the alarm sounds.
3. also if I am stopping somewhere after a run I turn the batteries off, then after some time start the engine and the alarm sounds.
4. performance is normal after restarting, just an annoying alarm.
5. the batteries are brand new.
6. Honda has cleaned all terminals and connections from the battery to the engine.

Help please...

yes, he said it was probably the battery, but it is not. the latest reason they gave was saying the batteries are not switched off after shutting down and that us draining them, the batteries are always switched off. now the reason is " we don't know"

Low battery voltage does not make an alarm sound on the BF130, only a no charge situation in which case the battery light would come on. They need to check for other fault codes, if the alarm has gone off there will be a code stored in the ecm.

The mechanic checked the pulser coil and said it was fine, the alarm goes on only after about an hours running. Would the pulser coil be effected by run time and temperature?

Yes it would, I have experienced those exact symptoms before and the coils tested fine too, replaced them and problem solved.

And just for the record, when I took them out one was melted and yet it tested good, and the engine had been running perfectly apart from the alarm issue, just sharing my experience with you

OK, thanks for the advice, i will get an estimate for replacing coils then. I will let you know how things turn out. Thanks again.

Back