Logo

Volvo Penta DP 290 Problem. Need Help

slick1952

The guy who rebuilt the outdrive has gone out of business. I was hoping he could help me with this. The grind going into to reverse and forward but it is ok when when it is finally in gear. Also I don't like how easy the clutch dog is when you manually switch gears. My question is before I tear it down is could this be a problem with adjustment of the shift cable? I wish I had tried that before pulling the unit off. The guy who rebuilt it was supposed to replace it but never happened. I need to get it fixed because I'm planning on selling the boat and want to have it fixed right.

The guy who rebuilt the out drive has gone out of business. I was hoping he could help me with this.

The grind going into to reverse and forward but it is ok when when it is finally in gear.
With any Volvo Penta cone-clutch stern drive, there should be NO grinding when engaging FWD or REV.
In other words, unlike a Dog Clutch drive, with a Cone Clutch drive, there should be no sudden gear teeth engagement and/or dis-engagement. The cone clutch engagement should be nice and smooth without any clunk, and certainly without any grinding!

Also I don't like how easy the clutch dog is when you manually switch gears.
There is no Clutch Dog with a V/P cone clutch drive.
Please elaborate!

My question is before I tear it down is could this be a problem with adjustment of the shift cable?
If it engages fully into either FWD or REV, no!

I wish I had tried that before pulling the unit off. The guy who rebuilt it was supposed to replace it but never happened.
What was he replacing?
Can you be more specific as to what the problem is?

Last edited:

What I meant was the dog on the clutch cone is real sloppy when manually shifting into forward and reverse. On my drive that I replaced it was kind of tight in shifting from forward to neutral and to reverse.

As far what he was replacing was the unit because it is under warranty and I didn't like the noise when shifting.

OK.... the cone clutch basically consists of three main components:
2 driven gear "cups" and 1 "sliding sleeve".

The sliding sleeve is raised and lowered into a corresponding gear cup via a "shift shoe".
The shift shoe is operated by an eccentric piston.

Are you talking about the shift shoe????
And what type of noise is it making while shifting???

FYI.... if the shift shoe is sloppy, it's shaft may be broken.
In order to check, you will need to drain the gear oil, and then remove the four small bolts that secure the shift mechanism into the transmission housing.

Your 290 transmission will use the bronze sliding sleeve, which means that the shift shoe will be steel.

(the later models that used the special coated gear cups and coated steel sliding sleeve will use the bronze embedded shift shoe)

Perhaps post a few photos of interior of your transmission.

Last edited:
Do you shift into gear slow or fast? First off drain about half a quart of gearoil and then remove the shift mech from the upper gearbox. Is there metal shavings on the drain plug magnet? Inspect and replace the shift dog or eccentric cam or housing. You never want to shift slow into gear be aggressive. Just sounds like a normal wear issue just tighten up the shift cam and replace the seal and o ring and see how it does? Does the cable have slop in it?

Do you shift into gear slow or fast? First off drain about half a quart of gearoil and then remove the shift mech from the upper gearbox. Is there metal shavings on the drain plug magnet? Inspect and replace the shift dog or eccentric cam or housing. You never want to shift slow into gear be aggressive. Just sounds like a normal wear issue just tighten up the shift cam and replace the seal and o ring and see how it does? Does the cable have slop in it?

Kim, all due respect and no offense.........., there should be no issue with making a slow shift movement with a cone clutch system.
(Dog Clutch.... yes... I would agree!)

The sliding sleeve will engage with the gear cup only as quickly as it can displace the oil film that prevents friction.
A good working cone clutch system should give us nice and smooth gear engagement. No grinding.... no clunking, etc!

slick1952, if you take the unit apart, please note the differences in the spring pin orientation.
If yours has the parallel spring pin, it must be retrieved. Spray carburetor cleaner into the bore as to thin the oil film that will prevent removal.
If not retrieved, you will not be able to remove the replacement spring pin in the future.

eccentric piston info.jpg

Kim, all due respect and no offense.........., there should be no issue with making a slow shift movement with a cone clutch system.
(Dog Clutch.... yes... I would agree!)

The sliding sleeve will engage with the gear cup only as quickly as it can displace the oil film that prevents friction.
A good working cone clutch system should give us nice and smooth gear engagement. No grinding.... no clunking, etc!

slick1952, if you take the unit apart, please note the differences in the spring pin orientation.
If yours has the parallel spring pin, it must be retrieved. Spray carburetor cleaner into the bore as to thin the oil film that will prevent removal.
If not retrieved, you will not be able to remove the replacement spring pin in the future.

View attachment 18961

Thanks for the reply's. I haaven't taken it apart yet. I have trying to get the guy who rebuilt it to see whats wrong. If I take it apart then I void thw warranty (or whats left on it). The guy has been answering any of my calls. So I have thinking about suing the guy before my warranty runs out. So I'm stuck with what I got. Have just been trying to see if I could figure out what he screwed up. He claims that all his drives are done to volvo specs. I have been through my old drive a couple of times and I never had any problems afterwards. What started all of this was last Dec, I was crusing down the cheseapke bay and hit somebody's unmarked fish net running at 25 mph and completely stop the boat. It missing up the drive pretty good. Bent shafts and props. I would have replaced it myself but, I didn't have time to do it. so that's where Im at now.

Back