Logo

1988 15 HP Johnson Throttle interlock lever

Hello folks,

My 1988 15 HP Johnson manual start motor has a nagging problem. The red throttle interlock lever keeps engaging at random times, preventing me from starting the motor out on the water. I have to pull the motor cover and disengage the red lever lever, then pull on the rope and it starts easy.. Shifter in neutral, throttle in start or idle position, and the darn thing locks up. What a pain! Is there an easy fix for this? Any suggestions? Thanks in advance for any help.

The Waco Kid

Oh good grief! The long arm of the spring that goes over to the flat retainer "post" is broken off! Looks like in order to get the spring I have to order the arm and spring for $22.00. Can I roll on without the red arm? And, what do I have to remove to get to the pivot screw that holds that red arm on? I should have seen that it was broken. Any suggestions?

Oh good grief again! The rookie (yours truly) that repaired the pull starter did not re-engage the long end of that spring. It is hiding, back in the shadows. If I can take out the starter mechanism without having to take it apart, I can re-engage that spring when I put the starter assembly back in. I think. HaHa! My "free" motor continues to be a journey. I am learning as I go. Will I be able to loosen that center bolt and pull it all out, reposition the spring and drop the starter mechanism back in without rewinding the spring? Any trick to that? Thanks!!!!

Back