Logo

M18e2

Jupiter Dinghy

Regular Contributor
Hello,

After a long search for a motor that would give me more power than my old Evinrude 9.9hp (bumped to 15hp with carb swap) without adding too much weight for ease of lugging around, I finally pulled the trigger on a 18 hp Tohatsu.
The motor is extremely clean, has 120 compression on both cylinders and sounds like a new motor.
Brand new carb installed 2 months ago, and the major plus to me is the fact that it is about 10 to 15 pounds lighter than any other 20 hp (41 kg / 90 pounds) while providing about as much power.

I understand Tohatsu is different from other makes in that it doesn't refer to year models for parts or service, but model & serial numbers.
The ID plate on my "new to me" motor reads: Model M18E2 350A and Serial number 003472XK.
Is there a way to determine a year (or year range) of manufacture with this information?
I was told 2007 by seller, does it seem about right?

I guess 2007 must be about correct: I saw a date stamped inside the engine cowling that says "2008-12-18"... if that means anything?

The parts catalogs for the M18E2 date from 1998 to 2003. The 4-strokes came out around 2001. But what does the year of manufacture matter?

The parts catalogs for the M18E2 date from 1998 to 2003. The 4-strokes came out around 2001. But what does the year of manufacture matter?
Thanks.
To you, and most everyone else, it doesn't matter an iota.
To me, it would just give me the satisfaction of knowing how old the motor is. No big deal.
So if the parts catalogs are any indication, this model would have been produced between 1998 & 2003?
Any idea why the engine cowling (that should be part of these catalogs) is stamped 2008?
Again no big deal, just curious.
Thanks again.

A label on the cowl may be date of manufacture, OR it could be the emissions rule date of compliance.

FYI (just sharing this for whomever may have an interest in deciphering the Tohatsu serial numbers) I had sent an email inquiry to Tohatsu Corp., in parallel with this thread, and I just received a response from them, it reads: "[FONT=wf_segoe-ui_normal]The "XK" portion of the serial number means it was produced in 2009". (Now the 2008 stamp on the cowling makes more sense).
So there is a way to find the year after all, I just wish they would provide their coding system explanation online (as any other manufacturer does) to alleviate the need for an email inquiry. But nice of them to respond, nevertheless.

[/FONT]

Last edited:
The "new" numbering system shows the year in the last two digits; the older system did not.
Again, MODEL is the critical part, not year of manufacture.

The "new" numbering system shows the year in the last two digits; the older system did not.
Again, MODEL is the critical part, not year of manufacture.
On a servicing standpoint, I agree 100% with you, but again, we're creature of habit, and it's kinda in human nature (at least in mine) to like knowing how old, or young the stuff we own (or plan to purchase) is.

Would you happen to know what the decoding formula of these last 2 letters is? I know that would save a lot of time (and unnecessary threads / emails) to folks looking into the purchase of a used Tohatsu....

I really don't get why Tohatsu makes this info so hard to obtain; when googling "tohatsu serial numbers" or tohatsu year of manufacture" etc.... all you get is a URL with the email template they want you to send them with your inquiry.
And once more, they're nice enough to respond relatively quickly, but why not save time and effort for everyone?

Production Year Code
Alphabet
A
B
C
D
E
F
G
H
K
X