Logo

Gear case oil seals questions

Samav

Contributing Member
Aloha everyone, I have a Honda 30 HP pre-1997 motor, this thread is a continuation of my previous thread: http://www.marineengine.com/boat-fo...5-Motor-sucked-air-and-overheated-help-please

So my motor overheated, and I just got around to inspecting and changing the impeller. I removed the gear case oil first, and found it was milky white, so obviously water is mixing with oil in the gear case.
Surprisingly, the impeller was in perfect shape, but I replaced it anyway. Something interesting I noted was what looked like super burned oil that turned pretty much rock solid caked all around the impeller housing. There was also hardened oil inside the lower unit. Here are pics:
Lower unit after gear case has been removed:
image6.jpg
Hardened oil next to impeller:
imageedit_2_2889959607.jpg
image3.jpg
If anyone has any ideas as to what could have caused this please let me know.

Anyway, I decided to remove the bearing carrier and inspect it, and I found the front oil seal to be pretty much tar consistency, so obviously I'll have to replace that. The other seal looked fine, but I will probably still replace it. Here is a pic of that:
image13.jpg

I looked on Boats.net for replacement seals, but was unable to find them. Does anyone know where I can find them?

Thanks in advance for all your help. You guys have no idea how helpful you have been throughout my DIY mechanic journey.

Attachments

• image1.jpg
    image1.jpg
    56.1 KB · Views: 21
  • image5.jpg
    image5.jpg
    38.9 KB · Views: 26
Hi Samav,

Isn't #23, water seal, what you need?

https://www.boats.net/catalog/honda/outboard-by-hp-serial-range/30hp/bf30a-srsa-pre-1997/propeller

I think once water diluted the oil, you started building heat in the case and that's why the seal melted as it did. Make sure you carefully look at the bearings before reassembling.

The black "stuff" around the mainshaft area looks like exhaust residue to me but I'm just guessing about that.

Good luck.

Thanks jgmo, that is what I need. Not sure how I managed to overlook that haha.

Don't forget that you have 2 more seals that could be bad. The drive shaft and the shift shaft. The drive shaft one if leaking might explain some of the residue under the water pump. If you can get the sizing numbers off the existing seals you can probably get replacements from your local seal shop.

Don't forget that you have 2 more seals that could be bad. The drive shaft and the shift shaft. The drive shaft one if leaking might explain some of the residue under the water pump. If you can get the sizing numbers off the existing seals you can probably get replacements from your local seal shop.

Thanks aliboy. I did take a look at those seals and they looked all right, but I will inspect them again and probably replace them just to be safe.

Back