Logo

Problem with feed from aux to main tank (sialboat)

dadio917

Hi – I’m looking for advice on a problem with a feed from an auxiliary fueltank to the main fuel tank in our 39’ sailboat. I’m hoping to do something simple and inexpensive. We only use the auxiliarytank once a year or so on long passages. Here is a description of the setup:The main 40gal tank is under the cockpit. The 30gal auxiliary tank is underthe v-berth about 15’ away (forward). Both tanks areat about the same level with their feeds being ~3’ off the bottom of the boat. Mapping the line starting from the auxiliary tank feed:- A valve- a few inches to a priming bulb- ~ 1’ to a 6gpm self priming pump (GrocoSPO-60-N) mounted ~ 6’ below level of the feed- ~20’ of 3/8” hose running down to the floor, aftto under the cockpit, up to a racor filter ~6” below the main tank feed, and theninto the main tank. The fundamental problem is the pump will not prime itself, I think because fuelsits in the line at the floor level between the pump and the main tank and hasan effect like vapor lock. The previousowner would disconnect the line from the pump and use a hand pump to clear theline. This seemed pretty funky and a lot of work, soI installed the primer bulb. If I squeezelike crazy I can get some fuel to the pump and once that happens it has the oomphto clear the line and do its job. The trouble with the bulb is it collapses given the power of the pump. Collapsed it reduces the flow and if I let itrun the pump overheats to where it will trip the breaker. So once primed I’ll run the pump for a fewminutes and let it rest. This takes along time and probably is not that great for the pump. I’ve tried a couple bulbs but suspect I’ll never find one that won’tcollapse. I’ve searched for a mechanicalhand primer that would not collapse but have yet to find one. So, am looking for advice on how to solve it. Anyone know of a better priming device thanthe bulb? A slower pump?Thanks

.The trouble with the bulb is it collapses given the power of the pump. Collapsed it reduces the flow and if I let itrun the pump overheats to where it will trip the breaker.

Ayuh,..... It Sounds like ya have a restriction in the aux. tank's outlet fittin',......

Pull the pick-up dip tube, 'n clear the obstruction,....

I'm guessin' the filter is there because there's crap in that tank,.....
Otherwise, the fuel is filtered just before it gets to the fuel pump on the motor,....

Back