Logo

Water Pump - Help

mroman59

Hey guys, I believe I successfully put my seals in my lower unit and put it back on the motor for testing. I was proud of myself until, I realized my water pump was not working. I have put one on before on my Johnson and had no problems. This motor is a BF100 and everything seem to go well and I do have a manual. In addition, its hard to put it together wrong because of the design. I used the old impeller because it was in good shape. The only thing I did was put in new gaskets. I may have put the impeller in backwards, but I dont think so since I made note of how it came out and the direction of the fins on it. Since the motor shaft turns clockwise, it caused the fins bend slightly to the opposite direction. I remember checking at least 5 times to make sure I did not screw it up. Well I screwed up somewhere.

Does anyone have any experiences with water pumps that may explain what I am missing?

Thoughts are appreciated.

Check impeller key if there is one (I think those impellers might not have a separate key?). After that you likely have an air leak in one of your gaskets. Might have slipped out of position when you assembled it. Failing that the pump housing might be damaged or the impeller was more worn than you thought.

Thanks for your response. I double checked everything and it looked good. I made sure when I installed the impeller that the rubber fins were in the correct position. I fired it up and she was ok. I added more water to the tub than last time to prime the pump so to speak. I think I may just had a little to much water in the tub.

If you're doing all that work I can't understand why you wouldn't replace the impeller. The vanes should be straight so that you can fitted it any way, being bent they may have lost tension with the cup and not pumping as it should. The only other thing I can suggest is that you may have missed the vertical water tube.

Back