Logo

ignition coil testing question

mroman59

I wanted to get my ignition coil tested so I inquired at a local boat shop to see if they could do it and what the cost would be. I was thinking I may have a coil problem for several reasons and the main one is that the engine runs good, but when I hit full throttle on the water it just dies. Then I can restart it with no problem.

My manual calls for a 3 point bench test and it shows the machine they use. When I ask if they perform this test, the shop says no and that they would have to have it on the motor to test it. My question is, what instruments if any are they using to test? How how can they tell its bad? I neglected to ask that question when speaking to them.

Mike

What motor have you got, that does not sound like a coil issue, more like fuel in the form of an accelerator pump not working.

I have a BF100, serial no. B100- 1003429. I bought new parts for the fuel pump, the only thing that I could not get was the diaphragm because it is obsolete. The diaphragm looks in great shape and not even a pin hole. The change in parts did not change the situation. I took the carburetor apart and cleaned it and no change. I reset the points and no change. I started with the fuel pump and carburetor thinking that it was a fuel issue, but many on the internet are describing what I am going through and said it was their coil or condenser. At this time I am trying to rule out electrical issue and after that I was going to go back to the fuel pump. Even though I can not get a new pump, I found a pump that Honda makes that could be used in place of it. In addition, the carburetor is obsolete and parts are hard to get, but I found a carburetor that can used in place of it. These are not replacements, but a Honda dealer tested them both and say they work.

I am open to suggestions.

you can do a resistance check and compare your reading to the manufactures specs , to me it sounds like you are losing voltage as the rpm increases , this you can check with a DVA or analog meter .

thanks, what does DVA stand for?
Which instrument would be your choice to use?
Do you know of any places that may test for you like NAPA or Autozone?

Also , will a device be able to test a coil if it is working, but loses voltage as the RPM increase, i.e. how do you simulate a coil that is under a load with the device?

Your coil produces a AC sine wave the DVA [ digital voltage meter adapter ] when its connected to your multi meter turns the AC sine wave over to DC volts and it shows up on your multi meter provided you have selected the DC scale on your multi meter , when you use a multi meter by it self to measure the volts without the DVA meter the figures jump all over the place and you cannot get a constant reading ,you can buy it from your boat shop or at CDI electronics or on ebay the instructions come with it . get some one to teach you then you.ve learned something:eek:

Back