Logo

Water Pump question

mroman59

I am putting new water pump gaskets on my BF100. The book mentions rubber gaskets , however when I purchased the gaskets according to the part no. they are not rubber, but the paper material type (? ). I assume Honda may go back and forth with the material for these gaskets just like they do with the type of seals used for the oil drain screws in the lower unit, i.e. nylon washers vs o-ring.

I have only used rubber in the past with previous outboard motors. I was just wondering of those paper time require any gasket sealant. The book does not make any mention other to just install and mount the housing over top.

Thanks,
Mike

The rubber gasket is on the water pump housing. If you haven't done the housing, they are usually pretty cheap and recommended to replace the actual housing if you have done the impeller a few times. They warp with use and heat and can cause issues.

Thanks, I was tearing down the lower unit to replace seals. The impeller is in good shape and pump was working good before tear down. I was changing the gaskets just because oil leaked into that area from lower unit. The gaskets I replaced are not rubber and they go on each side of the metal plate below the plastic housing. The pump housing looked good also and I didnt notice any warping. I did not see any rubber gasket on the pump housing but I will look at my parts list again. I checked my manual and it does refer to the gaskets as rubber. Again, when I purchased them and the ones removed were not made of rubber, but the paper like material.

Back