Logo

BF225 Lower Unit Knocking in forward

gm2

I have a 2006 BF225 with 400hrs. I noticed a knocking only in forward. Not nuetral and not reverse no matter what speed in reverse it’s still quiet. I just replaced the intermediate shaft bushing and the noise isn’t quite as loud but definitely still there. I haven’t completely drained the lower unit oil but I have let a little out to check and it is clean. No glitter and no water. Any ideas?

Did you get an alarm?

No I didn’t. I dont think anything in the lower unit can trip an alarm. I know for a fact there aren’t any wires going to the lower unit. Past few hours it’s made the noise. I changed the intermediate shaft bushing in hopes it would stop but no luck.

Are you hearing this knock when running on a flusher out of the water or is it under load in the water? If out of the water then run in the water and see if the noise is still apparent.

Are you hearing this knock when running on a flusher out of the water or is it under load in the water? If out of the water then run in the water and see if the noise is still apparent.

Under a load in the water is when the noise is heard

If you are certain it's coming from the gear case you will need to dismantle it to inspect the forward gear, it could have a cracked tooth.Before doing that tho it would pay to check your prop is not the issue although I can't imagine how that could make a knocking noise.

Back