Logo

Electrolyses

DeeJay01

Hi,
We have a Haines Hunter Aluminium tinny datng back to the 1980s.
We gave her a total refurb 25+ years ago and unfortuntely the hull has developed what I blive to be an electrolyses hole, first one since the refurb.
I have approched a couple of the local alloy welders who to say the least are not keen.
My question is do I continue to look for an experienced boat repairer or is there a product on the market which will give me a long lasting trustworthy repair.
All sugestions appreciated, thank you.
Cheers.

and unfortuntely the hull has developed what I blive to be an electrolyses hole,

Ayuh,..... How big a hole,..??

Where abouts in the hull,..??

Unless yer usin' the hull to conduct electricity, it's probably plain ole corrosion,.....

Do a complete survey it may be the time to get something more dependable?
Question what is the best bilge pump ever made?
Answer a scared fisherman with a five gallon bucket:)

Hi,
We have a Haines Hunter Aluminium tinny datng back to the 1980s.
We gave her a total refurb 25+ years ago and unfortuntely the hull has developed what I blive to be an electrolyses hole, first one since the refurb.
I have approched a couple of the local alloy welders who to say the least are not keen.
My question is do I continue to look for an experienced boat repairer or is there a product on the market which will give me a long lasting trustworthy repair.
All sugestions appreciated, thank you.
Cheers.

Hi,
I agree it may be time to update kimcrwbr1, but the almighty dollar rules.
Thanks for the input, Cheers.

Hi Bondo,
The hole is a little bigger than a pin hole, it's towards the transom with a rib directly above it.
Didn't know alloy gets corrosion, does this make a diference when welding as I have been saying it's electrolyses.

Hi Bondo,
The hole is a little bigger than a pin hole, it's towards the transom with a rib directly above it.
Didn't know alloy gets corrosion, does this make a diference when welding as I have been saying it's electrolyses.

Ayuh,.... Corrosion can't be welded, it's gotta be ground out, 'n buffed with a ssteel wire wheel, just before the weldin' begins,.....

Of course aluminum corrodes, 'n rather quickly,....
For weldin' purposes, ya always hit the area with the ssteel brush, Then weld,.....
Overnight is too long to clean, then weld,.....

I'm guessin' the rib won't allow cleanin' 'tween the pieces, so welds can be guarantied,....

A patch, rivets, 'n sealant can be an option,.....

Ayuh,..... There's alota different polymer sealants,.....
I've been usin' geo-cell tri-polymer, but donno if you can find it, where you are,....

Something that cures softer, rather than rigid,.......

'n Not silicone,....

Hi Bondo,
Contacted an old work colleague who has repaired th hole with the TIG. Understand there is the likelyhood of another hole in the future. Do you know of a more longterm repair ie replacing centre of hull were corrosion is at it's worst. Regards.

Do you know of a more longterm repair ie replacing centre of hull were corrosion is at it's worst.

Ayuh,..... Other than scrappin' the hull, 'n gettin' another,..?? Nope,......

Hi Bondo,
Appreciate your input and understand where your coming from, most likely do this season and take it from there.
Cheers.

Hi, Often wondered about this, have heard of it done before but have no feed back from boat owners.
Would be interested in knowing how the repair held up after a few years.
Cheers.

Epoxy is great stuff but I'd be concerned about long term grip on a metal hull.

I've seen demonstrations of this stuff called Durafix but I've never used it myself so I can't personally vouch for it. But, the demo I saw looked like a clean, strong bond to the base material. If you already have a hole I'd say you don't have anything to lose. I'd suggest buying some of the material and attempting a repair. If it works, that's great. If not.....oh well, you still have to cut out the material and weld in a new patch.

https://www.durafix.com/

Hi KevinJ.
Interesting to say the least, as mentioned above we have had the pinhole welded for now and will look ino the fibreglass coating. A friend has had his boat done recently which I believe was a chellange due to our location, will see what the end result turns out lke.
Cheers.

Back