Logo

Exhaust hotter on one side

Thanks! I know it's not due to a blockage, because the engine is new and so is the SS headers. Not only the exhaust water hotter on the starboard side, but some steam is visible. The thermostat housing is clear and has a new thermostat. The original stock cast iron intake manifold had the thermostat housing centered on the intake and pointing straight forward, but the edelbrock performer mounts the housing off center towards the port side and also mounts the housing at an angle

The cool side is getting more water than the hot side. Might be an obstruction in there from ???

I had a part of an impeller vane stuck in the hose going to one side that did that.

Jeff

I have a full time thru the transom exhaust and the water is noticeably hotter on one side. Is it normal and if not, possible causes?
A mild difference in temperature would be acceptable. However, a vast difference in temperature would not be!

Thanks! I know it's not due to a blockage, because the engine is new and so is the SS headers.
Headers.... as in jet boat style open engine bay exhaust system, or stern drive system????

Not only the exhaust water hotter on the starboard side, but some steam is visible.

The thermostat housing is clear and has a new thermostat. The original stock cast iron intake manifold had the thermostat housing centered on the intake and pointing straight forward, but the Edelbrock performer mounts the housing off center towards the port side and also mounts the housing at an angle
Since the intake manifold T-stat housing location has been mentioned, is it safe to assume that this engine is Raw Water Cooled?
If so, unless it is bronze lined at the coolant areas, the aluminum intake manifold will live a short life.

As for the rest of this, we could use more info.
Stern drive, shaft drive or jet drive?
How is the "spent" seawater being divided prior to being sent to the exhaust system?

I will check that out. The hotter side actually has a little more water coming out than the cooler side.
I can't explain that.
Have you had this boat in the water yet, and have you loaded the engine?

Ok if no restrictions are there,boat level,etc.. make shure no air trapped in block,,and if using 4 Barrel carb.. make shure mixture is same on both idle screws... use an infrared therm. On manifolds while adjusting... if injections, computer is doing it for you...best to do when in water. Good luck

Back