Logo

Crusader 350..no fuel to carb

willow

Regular Contributor
Really weird......

Went down to the boat to run the engines for the first time in 2018. Boat is on the hard, going to list it for sale. Has been sitting there for almost a full year....stabilizer in the tanks and full tanks....Batteries at full charge.

The stbd engine, (1991 Crusader 350cu in ), would crank but no fuel to carb. Suspected broken fuel pump. Possible plugged anti siphon. Something wrong at the fuel filter ??Anyhow, pulled the metal fuel line from the carb and cranked engine......no fuel coming out of line...

Left it alone and tried the port engine...same thing, no fuel to carb and would not fire BUT that engine is a replacement in about 2010 and has an electric fuel pump. Proofed the pump and found it was not working. Installed new pump and engine runs well.:D

Back to Stbd engine. Cranked the engine again and at long last fuel came out. Attached fuel line back on carb and engine runs well.

I have winterized my engines for the past 20 years, always the same way and this is the first time I have had an experience like today with the stbd engine...

Anyone have any idea why it would not crank out fuel for about 4 or 5 attempts to get it to run and finally we get gas out of the line, reconnect the line and the engine purrs.

I have never had anything like this ever happen and the only thing I can think of is and airlock. ( never heard of one),The anti siphon valve was changed about 3 years ago and the engine was running well when we put it on blocks October 2017.

I am suspecting the anti siphon valve again.......maybe gunk in the tank......think I will pull it off again and check it....bit of a bitch to get at it but I don't want to have the engine fail when in the water......the stern is about 8-10 degrees lower that the entire boat for water run off and that would put the starboard fuel tank at an angle and the fuel pick up ( changed in 2015 ) is at the rear of the fuel tank , almost the rearmost part of the boat.

If anyone has any other suggestions I would like to hear them.

Thanks

Hey Kip!

Sometimes. the pump diaphragms get stretched when the engine stops with the push rod a max and they don't like it....sometimes the fuel will evaporate and they don't work so well until they get wet.

I have learned its easiest on everything to prime the fuel lines if the boat has been sitting for a while....a mitey-vac on the 'extra' pipe plug of the filter head is usually the easiest way.....and adding a few ounces of fresh to the carb's float will let the engine start right up....and usually provide enough run time to get the fuel line fully loaded.....

Good job on the diagnosis....would also suggest adding some more stabilizer to the tanks....don't know how much went in last year but the normal recommended amount is usually good for a year.....and adding a bit more can't hurt.....mixing it up is much harder on blocks though.

Thanks Mark......Yes, I did add another batch of stabilizer prior to running the engine.
Based on the fact that the engine ran well all last year, right up to the minute it was pulled out of the water, as well as your explanation,do you think it is worth the time and bother to take out the anti-siphon valve and check on it or should I see what happens when I try to start it next Spring ??

Thought of raw fuel in the carb but didn't get that far as the engine did start...If I remember correctly, that was my next move if it had not started. Checking that anti-siphon vale is a a real exercise in patience as well as human flexibility !!:D

I had a hard to get at antisiphon valve on my previous boat and was able to get at the fittings using a plumbers basin wrench. Worked well. May help you also.

Back