Logo

Alpha One Gen One stalls going into reverse

fastjeff

Gold Medal Contributor
My man Steve lubricated the cable going to the outdrive and the system worked fine--until yesterday. The interrupter switch now shuts the engine down again each time I shift into reverse. (It's okay going into forward.)

Other than replacing the cable (a royal PI the A job) is there a "farmer fix" to eliminate this?

Thanks,

Jeff

PS: Being an old motorcyclist, I could do the usual cable lube job on it, but would that be enough?

Ah, come on, there's gotta be a simple fix, like a stiffer spring, or a cable readjustment to make the switch less sensitive?

Jeff

Quick question,

How did your "man" Steve lubricate the cable?

I hope he used the proper "lube"?

Seriously though how and what did he use and how did he do this?

there are factors that could cause this in the shift linkage at the bell housing so it may not even be the cable.

There are ways to make that distinction....

He disassembled the cable, shot cable lube on it and worked it until it was nice and free. The trick didn't last, however.

..."Turn off engine before you shift and restart. "

You mean start it in gear? I'd have to disconnect a few things for that to work. My OB motors can start in gear like that, so I'm used to doing it.

Jeff

He disassembled the cable, shot cable lube on it and worked it until it was nice and free. The trick didn't last, however.

..."Turn off engine before you shift and restart. "

You mean start it in gear? I'd have to disconnect a few things for that to work. My OB motors can start in gear like that, so I'm used to doing it.

Jeff

Naw,.... Ya gotta shut the motor off to get the drive Outa gear,......

Lubin' a normally dry cable just further gums up the cable,......

PIA or not, replacin' the cable is the only "Fix",......

Back