Logo

71 Crist Craft Lancer 17" GM V-6 engine not pumping oil to heads

Steimi

Hello All,
I have the above boat and it has been covered and stored outdoors for over 2 years. I transported it from the Finger Lakes region of NY to SE Georgia. I did not turn the gas off and the engine oil pan had a lot of gas in it along with gas floating in the intake manifold below the carb. Engine turned over real hard and it only went about 1/16 of a turn and turned very hard. I drained the oil/gas (3 gallons) and put come light hyd fluid in the cylinders to help lube them and let it set for 2 weeks. I changed the oil and filter and filled it with oil. I removed the distributor and operated the oil pump to prime the engine. The pump is pumping oil, checked by removing Oil Sending unit. However I am not getting any oil at the cylinder heads and possibly not at the cam or cranks shafts either. I removed a valve cover and observed no oil getting to heads. Does anyone have an idea as to why I am not getting oil to the heads however it is pumping oil through the filter housing and Oil Pressure sending unit port.

This boat is an I/O with a Volvo OD.

Thank you for any assistance you may have for me.

Steimi

However I am not getting any oil at the cylinder heads and possibly not at the cam or cranks shafts either. I removed a valve cover and observed no oil getting to heads. Does anyone have an idea as to why I am not getting oil to the heads however it is pumping oil through the filter housing and Oil Pressure sending unit port.

Ayuh,..... Because the lifters push oil up through the push rods to oil the top of the heads,......

There's No oil pressure ports goin' to the heads,.....

Bill is correct...... there are no oil ports supplying oil the cylinder heads. The only oil that will be seen in that area will be from the hollow push rods.

The hydraulic cam followers (aka lifters) will allow oil pressure to pass through them if the check valves are open, or during operation.
You may not see much oil come from the push rods while priming the system by turning the oil pump with a drill motor.

Here is a neat little GIF file that shows how these work dynamically:

https://www.bing.com/videos/search?...6A6CBFDDD63181EC519E6A6CBFDDD6318&FORM=VDMCNR

If you were to turn the engine while priming with the drill motor, you should see some oil coming up through the push rods.

Last edited:
Even with the gas on, this should not happen. Did some one remove the anti siphon valve??? (replace it with an elbow??) or is it stuck open?
I'd find out why this happened before running that engine again!!!

Last edited:
Back