Logo

What do I need for a spun prop?

taymag

Contributing Member
I am going on a bigger fishing trip than normal, and would like to get some spare parts together to potentially keep from ruining a day (hopefully I never have to use them).

The main thing I always hear is parts for a spun prop. I have a 2005 Merc outboard 2 stroke carbbed 150 (with a new lower, if that matters since that's where the prop is). Can someone give me a part number for the kit I need?

Also since I already have a spare prop, what parts kit would I need to swap that on the water if the nut came loose?

Anything else of value to carry without being a crazy person?

The spare prop is all you need (assuming you also have a prop wrench).

Jeff

PS: Having lots of tools and spare parts makes you a SANE person. I've run into boaters stuck out there that didn't even have a bloody screw driver aboard!

You will need a tool to bend the prop nut lock tab out of the way too. I always carry at least one Leatherman and a good folding knife. Go to shore, if possible, when working on the motor. I just rebuilt a lower unit like yours, welded new skeg also. What did yours cost you? New water pump, right? My rebuild needed the prop shaft straightened.......took close to 4 tons force.

The spare prop is all you need (assuming you also have a prop wrench).

Jeff

PS: Having lots of tools and spare parts makes you a SANE person. I've run into boaters stuck out there that didn't even have a bloody screw driver aboard!

I want to buy all the spare parts when removing the prop (in case I lose one changing). Other than the nut and 2 tab washers what else is there?

I bought a used spare prop from someone for $35, that’s the other reason I am asking now because I don’t know what all other than the internals I see in the “complete” prop I have are needed

Do you have the part number on the prop?

I’ll check when I get home, but what I am saying is (referring to your next 2 posts) since I bought a prop that came off a broken lower wouldn’t that include all the “hub kit” so I just pop it on? Plus a used prop is basically the same price as that kit ($50 or so)

Back