Logo

another high oil pressure question

Brownie289

Contributing Member
My IV gen 454 port engine has high oil pressure, 80psi. I put a mechanical gauge on it and it reads 66psi.

Not sure how I should proceed from here. Seems to run fine otherwise, It's a fairly low time engine, running Rotella 15/40.

Sorry I was so vague, my oil pressure was all the time at 80. So I put a mechanical gauge on the motor and at cold start up it was at 66, let it warm for a while stayed there. I ran it up a bit it rose slightly but never much.

Excessive oil pressure is not good with regard to several aspects.
More oil may remain in suspension, causing it to not return to the oil pan as quickly as designed.
It may cavitate within the oil journals.

If you have verified that it is at 66 psi, even when warm, that is excessive in my opinion.
However, in order to reduce it, the oil pump would require removal, and then an adjustment to the bi-pass valve spring would be made.

I'd agree its a bit higher than necessay....that said, being its described as 'low time', its been rebuilt or replaced so whoever was in it may have installed a high pressuure pump. Like Rick said, to change it, you need to access the oil pump. i it bothrs you, I'd be inclined to try a thinner viscosity oil first....

I guess my concern was if it was safe to run or not.

As said; Excessive oil pressure is not good with regard to several aspects.
More oil may remain in suspension, causing it to not return to the oil pan as quickly as designed.

As said; Excessive oil pressure is not good with regard to several aspects.

I am sorry...I feel like a dog watching TV, so it is really bad? will ruin the engine?

Thanks everyone, I looked at the long block paperwork doesn't say what components were installed. It was put in 2016. The other engine is a 1986.

Back