Logo

2004 BF225 winterizing

Mheltun

Regular Contributor
Up north in Michigan winter is starting to sneak closer. It appears my boating season is coming to a close. What is the recommended winterizing checklist for this engine. My plan is to change both the engine and lower unit oil (and filter), drain the vst and add stabile to the fuel. I’ve heard that some pull the plugs and put oil in the cyclinders (any special type?). Any tips are appreciated.

thanks,
Mark

Easier to remove the air intake and introduce fogging oil through the throttle body whilst running engine in neutral at about 2000rpm, then shut down and apply corrosion guard to the power head.

And one other thing - make sure the engine is trimmed all the way down/in so all the water can drain out. You may want to also loosen the flush hose so that no water remains stuck in there.

Thanks guys for the feedback. Regarding the fogging, I thought I read never to fog a fuel injected 4 stroke. The reasons they had in this particular article were potential damage to O2 sensor and possible injector issues. Again this is what I read so I’m just bringing it up for discussion.

I am not aware of any issues, it certainly wouldn,t affect injectors and can't see why it would hurt an O2 sensor, when I worked in the cold parts of the world we used it on all motors as instructed on the can.

Back