Logo

Johnson 9.5 won't start.

K_houle

I recently bought a Johnson 9.5 hp outboard from someone on Craigslist. The previous owner said it ran but has been sitting a few years. Went and got new gas for it, tried to start it and nothing. Wouldn't even turn over. So I poured gas/oil mixture down the carb and it started on the second pull. But died out after a few seconds. I was getting gas from the tank to the bowl in the carb. Took the carb apart and cleaned it up good, reinstalled it, and still no luck. The only way I could get it to run was to keep pouring the fuel mixture right down the carb. Any suggestions?

Bet you didn't clean the high speed jet (orifice plug) did you? It is deep in the hole behind the hex head drain screw.

Okay I will check that out when I get home. Also does that bolt there have to be screwed in all the way? When I took the carb apart to clean it, i noticed when I screwed it all the way it looked like it blocked that hole and channel.

The jet is usually really tight use the right screwdriver to take it out. If you have to grind a wider screwdriver so it barely fits inside the threads of the hole the jet is in!

Just rebuilt the carb and installed a new fuel pump and still no luck. I noticed the carb doesn't have part #41. Could that be causing an issue? Also I didn't fill the gas tank up all the way, maybe half a gallon. Should I fill it up all the way and then try it?

#41 is just a screen and it is meant to keep the foam blanket out of the carburetor.----That is not your starting issue.------The most important test is spark intensity.----So does spark jump a gap of 5/16" , yes or no ?

Pull the spark plugs out and stick a screwdriver in a plug boot and hold it about 1/4 inch from a bolt on the head you can chip a piece of paint off if necessary. Then just pull the rope.

Get creative.----Glue 2 pieces of wire with a 5/16" gap on a piece of cardboard / wood.----Speaker wire / old appliance cord / extension cord etc.-----Stick one end in the sparkplug boot and the other end grounded on the block.-----A good magneto will jump that gap.-----Or simply buy such a tool at your automotive parts store.

Just went out and tested it. It does jump the gap. I tested the spark plugs, and they had a yellow tint to them when fired. One seemed to be a little weak to.

Get some new plugs how old is the impeller? Have you changed the gearoil? Have you greased all the zerts you can find. A little PM goes a long way flush it after each use and let it run out of fuel.

Back