Logo

2003 OptiMax quick question

timguy

Silver Medal Contributor
Hi, I'm usually making suggestions and not asking questions, but my experience is primarily OMC's and earlier Mercs.
Question: Is this bad boy supposed to ratchet one way, one direction, when in forward gear? If not, what will happen at 50 knots should the motor lock up in a catastrophic failure? Thanks, Tim

What would be the problem? I replaced the skeg with only a partial dismantle. It shifts perfectly. Never took out the prop shaft and only removed the bearing/seal retainer. Only removed the shift shaft part way up, but it re-engaged when I gently pushed it back down. Lower unit makes no noise and rotates smoothly in both directions. I was told by a large repair shop that offers rebuilt lower units that some do not ratchet. What's happening? This has me puzzled.

Checked another 2002 150 OptiMax. These DONT HAVE beveled gear dogs, so mine is fine. I checked the reason???? It's better for slowing down, like having brakes on your boat. Another thought is the dogs will be stronger under full load. Without being beveled the dogs will be more substantial and the risk of any slippage or engagement failure will be minimized.

Last edited:
Checked another 2002 150 OptiMax. These DONT HAVE beveled gear dogs, so mine is fine. I checked the reason???? It's better for slowing down, like having brakes on your boat. Another thought is the dogs will be stronger under full load. Without being beveled the dogs will be more substantial and the risk of any slippage or engagement failure will be minimized. The engagement sleeve will be positive and not be allowed to ratchet.

Back