Logo

15 hp won't start

Dersu

My two stroke 15 hp Evinrude always starts in the first couple pulls. I pulled the gas line and ran the carb dry. When I plugged it back in, pumped the ball and tried to restart it, it won't start.

I know gas is getting to the carb because I pulled the gas line out of the carb and gas under pressure came out. I sprayed starter fluid in the carb it started and ran for a few seconds until the starter fluid burned up.

Where do I go from here?

My two stroke 15 hp Evinrude always starts in the first couple pulls. I pulled the gas line and ran the carb dry. When I plugged it back in, pumped the ball and tried to restart it, it won't start.

I know gas is getting to the carb because I pulled the gas line out of the carb and gas under pressure came out. I sprayed starter fluid in the carb it started and ran for a few seconds until the starter fluid burned up.

Where do I go from here?

But is the fuel actually filling the bowl or is the float or valve stuck shut ?

Did you feel fuel being pumped into the bowl ?

But is the fuel actually filling the bowl or is the float or valve stuck shut ?

Did you feel fuel being pumped into the bowl ?

I can't say that I could perceive the bowl filling, but when I detached the carb, fuel spilled out of the bowl.

Pump some fuel at the carb hose in a glass jar. Its possible it took a slug of water the water looks like bubbles in the bottom of the jar?

I removed the carb, disassembled it, clean it and reassembled it with a rebuilt kit. I drained all the gas from the tank and lines and started over with fresh fuel. The motor starts fine, but I am having trouble getting it to idle and accelerate without dying. When I adjust the jet so that it idles, it kills when I accelerate. When I adjust it so that it accelerates, it won't idle.

This is a 1990 15 hp Evinrude.

How far are you opening the low speed needle? Could be still some problem with jet restriction. These are excellent carbs.

What is a good starting point on the low speed needle? I started at 2 1/2 turns open and played with it from there, but did not get it. It would start right up with the choke on and sometimes with the choke off. If it was dying, I could usually keep it going by pulling the choke out. Sometimes, however, it would just die and reving it or choking it made no difference.

I plan to take the boat to the lake this evening to play with it some more.

Compression test done ?----Thermostat installed and not stuck open ?---Flywheel key checked ?---Fuel pump diaphragm checked ?-----Not sure what folks mean when they " going to play with it some more "-----Some testing and good trouble shooting needs to be done

That's right, Racer, the "playing around" is best done at home. When you bring to the lake, its just for the final certification. No problems are expected. I think that you have a fuel restriction within the carb yet, especially in the low speed circuit. Make sure you NEVER use ethanol blend. Trumps idea to help farmers is going to be at a tremendous cost to many consumers. Ethanol produces barely 1/2 the power of pure fuel. To put that into perspective, at 10 percent ethanol, the efficiency of your fuel goes from 100 percent to 95 percent. If your car gets 35 mpg on 10 percent ethanol, then with pure gasoline, you would get almost 37 mpg......with LESS emissions. I have ethanol damage photos from my years of repairs that will make you sick. So much seasonal equipment has been destroyed.

Last edited:
Back