Logo

help with 1967 johnson 5hp outboard

Frerman91

I'm hoping someone can help with the above outboard model #LD12A ser #j2721168. I removed the t-stat cover to inspect and test the t-stat. it tested good but the inner gasket is toast I cannot find a part # anywhere. the manual I have says it doesn't have one but suggests installing one if operating in water under 50 degrees. I usually run it in water between 45-65 degrees do I even need it or can I run it without one. if I need it where can I find a part # for it.

Simple. Just look at the CD-24 (6hp) parts book. The thermostat part number was changed a number of times, but any of them will work. The seal is 310058.

Your information is correct, the 5hp came without a 'stat to cut costs. But powerhead is same as a 6hp. 5hp carburetor is severely restricted to drop the horsepower.

#0311145 get a can of permatex aviation and brush a light coat on both sides of the gasket and screw threads and just get the screws nice and snug so you see the gasket maker bead out all the way around the housing. You can take itout immediately after snug the screws down.

#0311145 get a can of permatex aviation and brush a light coat on both sides of the gasket and screw threads and just get the screws nice and snug so you see the gasket maker bead out all the way around the housing. You can take itout immediately after snug the screws down.

0311145 is the thermostat cover gasket which is not what the OP is asking about!

I just took a look at my 1967 LD12A 5hp parts book rather than to trust to memory. The only gasket listed is the thermostat cover gasket 311145 as Vic states. I'm not aware of another 1967 5hp model.

And as "fdgator" states, the 310058 doesn't come into play until the 1969 6hp model (although the gasket exists earlier).

Wrong cylinder head on that engine??

How deep is the recess for the thermostat in the head? I believe the cover gasket is what held the stat down on those earlier models. If i remember correctly my 1961 40hp lark the recess was not deep enough for a rubber gasket the cover gasket holds it down? Maybe racer will know?

I'm hoping someone can help with the above outboard model #LD12A ser #j2721168. I removed the t-stat cover to inspect and test the t-stat. it tested good but the inner gasket is toast I cannot find a part # anywhere. the manual I have says it doesn't have one but suggests installing one if operating in water under 50 degrees. I usually run it in water between 45-65 degrees do I even need it or can I run it without one. if I need it where can I find a part # for it.

Your choice really whether or not to refit the thermostat...

if you have it and it works correctly and you don't mind spending $2.56 worth of beer tokens on a new gasket you might as well fit it

wow, nice what a wealth of information. thank you for all your help. its really hard to find a dealer with any info on these older outboards. I have ordered the parts and will have it together in a few days. the head is definitely original as it still has the factory paint seal on all the head bolts. fortunately for me its a immaculate specimen I bought it from the original owner about 20 yrs. ago its bee in storage for a # of years and am now going through it before I take it out salmon fishing in a couple of weeks. thank you all

If it has the original head gasket order one up you will need it. Leeroys ramblings has a section on the LD series motors. Take your time going through it it will last another 50 years.

Back