Logo

will not idle

yes it is clean,let it soak overnight I am starting to think maybe fuel pump when choke is turn off it seems to run out of fuel
Thanks for the reply

Have you tried keeping it idling by pumping the primer bulb with the choke off? If it will idle like that, it very well could be a weak fuel pump.

Did you disassemble the carb to soak it? Can't really get them completely clean without removing the emulsion tube, idle mix screw and main jet plug and blowing through all the associated passages.

have not tried pumping the primer bulb but will do that today and yes carb was completely disassembled when I soaked it
Thanks

Well, hopefully the prime pump trick will yield a result.

Did you verify that the idle port orifice in the back of the carb throat will allow fuel to flow? Do you know that tiny little set of holes in the
carb throat I'm talking about? There's usually three of them at the top of the "Venturi" passage (throat) clustered together near the throttle plate. The idle orifice is the only one that you can easily see when the throttle plate is closed. Sorry to keep coming back to carb questions but I am just thinking of things to check if the primer trick doesn't work.

Good luck.

When I clean a carburetor, I use a spray can with it's little plastic "straw" to backflush the idle, transition and high speed circuits by placing the end of the straw over each orifice and blowing the s#^t out of them.

This is best accomplished when the idle mixture screw, emulsion tube and main passageway screw plug are all removed.

I then use the straw to blow the cleaner through each passageway while observing how it flows out each orifice.

The idle orifice can be seen and accessed with the throttle plate closed. But, the transition and high speed orifices will need the throttle propped or held open to see and clean them.

I continue to repeat the backflush and then foreflush operation until I get satisfactory flow from each orifice.

Let us know what you find and good luck.

I have cleaned them thoroughly and I am about to try it again but I have I more question What does the vaccum diaphram that the vaccum lines from the carb do?

I've not worked on that engine but the diaphragm is a "dashpot". Dashpots are used on carbureted engines to prevent stalling if the throttle is closed too quickly.

Back