Logo

2015 115hp Mercury 4-Stroke gas getting in oil

FritzTheSchiz

I’ve ran the engine fine for two years and a couple months ago I checked the oil before a fishing trip and noticed gas in the oil. Dealership warranty ran out a month before so conveniently. Dealership says I didn’t break it in correctly, and the rings haven’t seated... I changed the oil and let the boat sit because I’ve been busy with work. Checked oil last night and it has gas in it. I’m thinking the rings may have something to do with it, but gas has to be passing the injectors some how. Any ideas?

is it coming up to temperature when you run it? if it is cold, it will 'make oil.' Often the thermostat gets rocks in it so its stuck open, and the engine never comes up to temperature,c ausing gas to get in the oil, along with condensation that never gets burned off.

I’ve ran the engine fine for two years and a couple months ago I checked the oil before a fishing trip and noticed gas in the oil. Dealership warranty ran out a month before so conveniently. Dealership says I didn’t break it in correctly, and the rings haven’t seated... I changed the oil and let the boat sit because I’ve been busy with work. Checked oil last night and it has gas in it. I’m thinking the rings may have something to do with it, but gas has to be passing the injectors some how. Any ideas?
My 09 also has this problem. Now it starts fine when unloading but after running WOT and stopping for short time, it is difficult to start. Sometimes it dies when coming back down to idle. Stumbled frequently. New fuel filters, spark plugs and fsm float but nothing worked. Merc mechanic can’t figure out either. He thinks maybe lift pump going out but computer saying everything is ok. Any thoughts? S/N 1B738410 “makes oil” sometimes also

Last edited:
Fritz, did you get any answers?
I think I may have narrowed my problem down to possibly being the fuel Pressure Regulator. I have changed it but have not been to the lake to test. I was having other symptoms besides gas in the oil. Stalling during decelerations, difficult getting on plane, black smoke, difficult starting when engine warm.

Back