Logo

Oil leak 250

Cmerc

Contributing Member
One of my reletively new 250s with about 80 hours has developed an oil leak, and I am hoping some one can give me some guidence until the dealer comes to check it.
After being away for three weeks, an dthe engine was tilted up fully, I came back to find oil in the motor well under one of my engines, as well as in the rigging tube, I spoke to the dealer and their immediate suggestion was to check the dipstick was seated properly, the oil fill cap was tight and it was not coming from the fuel filter, I was told there was nowhere else it could be coming from.
My oil level is fine, they suggested that oil must have been spilled when the oil was changed, and claim there is nowhere else it could be leaking from.
I have flushed the pan , but 5 days later oil still continues to drip, to make matters worse, I have sold the boat and the new owner is picking it up in a week, BTW the engines are still under warranty.
Any thoughts on what the issue could be?

Thanks

Oil leaks are normally a bugger to track down...

I agree with the initial recommendation: "check the dipstick was seated properly, the oil fill cap was tight and it was not coming from the OIL filter."

The statement that "I was told there was nowhere else it could be coming from." is not true.

Just a few ideas. I'm assuming that the 250 is very similar to the 225.

1. Check all around the valve covers. It's possible one is leaking.

2. Check inside the spark plug holes for oil. It's possible that one or more of the seals in the valve cover failed. See item 4 at:
https://www.boats.net/catalog/honda...250hp/bf250a-xca-pre-1997/cylinder-head-cover

3. Pull off the upper cowlings and determine how much oil, if any, is on the pan at the bottom of the engine. If oil, wipe very clean, line with paper towels, wait and see if you can determine where it's coming from by drips on the paper towels.

CHawk, I dont see any oil coming from the back of the engine or in the rear of the pan, it all seems to be coming from the front, also If it were a valve cover issue, with the engine tulited up fully, and for 4 weeks since it was last run I would think any oil in the roocker arm area would have drained off by now, no?
There is no evidence of oil on the sides or back of the pan, or block, there is a dripping on a part of the latch mechanism hich is located just below the front fuse panel.
the only thing I see in The shop manual on the front of the block is the oil pressuer senders, hope Its that simple.
I have had more issues whith these new 250s in the 20 months I have owned them than in the 9years I had the 225s and they were 6 years old when I got them, and I have really gone from a Honda fan to nevr wanting another one.

4 Oxygen sensors replaced,
1 ECU replaced
Black soot below the exhaust before and after the ECu change.
Issues with a VST
Vee Three Gauges fogging up.

Last edited:
Hi Cmerc, it's difficult to see but if the engine is leaking oil when tilted I have have a couple leaking from the top shift shaft seal, this area is flooded with oil when tilted but does not leak in the usual running position.

Thanks Lang676, I will have a closer look to see if I can spot any oil drain marks,
If it is that or a leaking Pressure gauge(which is doubtfull) I would think it would be a reletivly easy fix. Crossing my fingers.
Are your engines 250s?

Last edited:
No, I have a 200 AK3 which is the same. If you shine a flash light on the seal on the shift shaft right next to the neutral switch, there is an oil seal which may be leaking. I doubt if it's the oil pressure switch, that issue was fixed a long time ago.The shift shaft seal is about a 30 min job to do if you are familiar with those engines, not a big deal.

iang676, you may well be right, just had a look at the shop manual, and oil is dripping down on to the snap pin that holds the the shift arm to the shift rod link.
fingers crosses thats it, next question is do theynhave the part in stock?

Update, the service manager came to deal with the issue today, he removed whatever was needed to access the shift shaft, that was not where oil was coming from.
Apparently jusr above the shift shaft there is a casting bump that has a small hole that oil is coming out of, he says he has no idea what the bump is for or why its leaking.

The hole in the casting you mention is I believe the flywheel housing vent or breather. I am guessing there is oil leaking into this area, easiest way to check is by removing the starter motor and looking into the flywheel housing, it should be totally dry and clean. I am amazed at the bad luck you're having with this one engine, good luck, the dealer must find the problem, they should not leak oil.

iang6766, interestingly, I sold the boat 2 weeks ago, got paid, and title transferred, the new owner has not takn possession yet so I could have simply ignored the issue and left it for him to fight with the dealer about, but thats not my style, want to delivr it like it was when he seattiled it, just had the bottom cleaned and the boat is being detailed as I write this.
I am going to keep in touch with the dealer to make sure it is resolved properly, thanks for all your thoughts and help.
I now have one boat in my life, a 23’ Albury Bros with a 225 Merc life with a VHF and thats it, no generator, A/C, 2 refrigerators 2 GPS, Radar, Sounder, etc etc etc te keep working and dealing with, yayyyyyy.

iang6766, interestingly, I sold the boat 2 weeks ago, got paid, and title transferred, the new owner has not takn possession yet so I could have simply ignored the issue and left it for him to fight with the dealer about, but thats not my style, want to delivr it like it was when he seattiled it, just had the bottom cleaned and the boat is being detailed as I write this.
I am going to keep in touch with the dealer to make sure it is resolved properly, thanks for all your thoughts and help.
I now have one boat in my life, a 23’ Albury Bros with a 225 Merc life with a VHF and thats it, no generator, A/C, 2 refrigerators 2 GPS, Radar, Sounder, etc etc etc te keep working and dealing with, yayyyyyy.

iang6766, I was not here when th service guy was hre so I never saw “the pin hole”
I have searched my service manual, and looked on line, I can't find any thing about it, any chance you have an illustration of it?

Back