Logo

I just picked up a used Johnson 110 VRO and need some professional advice

buckz6319

Regular Contributor
Hi-- I just picked up a used Johnson 110 VRO (I believe it's a 1990, however I need to do some research to confirm).

I haven't owned a Johnson brand before of this type (VRO) and I didn't know that Johnson made a 110may be I'm going craze or just haven't noticed the 110... I would appreciate any advice ya'll can send my way on this particular model. I did take some pics of it just the way I received it and haven't attempted to clean it or start it at this point to even hear it run.

I know this is an old outboard and would like some input on it. I know everyone has an opinion and I would like to here from ya'll. I would appreciate it! Thanks

Pics
image 3 by , on Flickr

image 2 by , on Flickr

image 4 by , on Flickr

image 5 by , on Flickr

image 6 by , on Flickr

image 7 by , on Flickr

image 8 by , on Flickr

It's a 1987 model. Check the gear oil and then see if you can get it started. You'll get a better idea of what it needs.

Oh, It's an 1987 model, that's a start and I will start cleaning the boat and engine up tomorrow. I will check the gear lube also. I'm excited!

Let us know what you find ??

I did run the serial number and you are correct! it's a 1987 Johnson

I did get her started yesterday and she fired right up after I figured out how to use the OMC control. I never had a boat with that pull up lever arm for setting the idle for starting. I'm use to the the controls that will allow the user to operate the idle with the control handle.

I do have a few issues to deal with-- 1. I will need a fuel pump ( the one installed has a leak in the top)
2. I will need a trim momentary rocker (it works better in the trim down position and the trim up position takes some pushing on to get the contacts to hit hit together just right)
3. I will need to oil the OMC throttle cables, they are sticking (I will use some oil and compressed air to loosen up)
4. I will need to check out all the wiring to the outboard, all lights, all gauges, All electrical and replace any thing that looks like it could be a fire hazard.
5. I will need a new RPM gauge
6. I will need a new impeller kit. The water flow is strong out the tell/tail, however I really don't want to run this motor any more not knowing what condition the impeller veins are in. I took a risk starting it and not knowing and will not do that again.
7. Clean out the on board fuel tank and get new fuel lines, pump bulbs ect.
8. I will need 2 batteries
9. I will need to check out the charging system. I couldn't see any changes in my DVM battery volts with the engine running, maybe it's because I can''t rev up the RPMs yet?)
10. I think that's about it for now--- but I do have another list of items to check out--- this is only the first phase of inspections ect.

Sounds like you have a reasonable plan. Might consider spark test, compression test. Lots of videos on YouTube regarding most tests and water pump replacement.

I have a question please.
how do I get the OMC remote control lever to unlock so I can operate the throttle only? ---I'm not familiar with this controller and I can't find much online info on this. I want to do my compression testing in the morning and can't do it because I don't know how to get the throttle handle to move independently without engaging the drive---
here is my control
https://www.marineengine.com/parts/...R&manufacturer=Johnson&section=Remote+Control

Last edited:
I checked the engine ''Cold Compression" as follows
#1= 101
#2= 99
#3= 100
#4= 99
now by no means is the compression tester that I'm using a professional grade and these readings could be off by some degree of psi -- at least all cylinders are running compression numbers that are just about even, so she has been used but maybe she still has some life in her for a few more years before a rebuild.

I didn't find a Min & Max compression rating--- I don't know what the compression rating on these cylinders were when new-- I'm guessing possibly between 190-200?

I checked the engine ''Cold Compression" as follows
#1= 101
#2= 99
#3= 100
#4= 99
now by no means is the compression tester that I'm using a professional grade and these readings could be off by some degree of psi -- at least all cylinders are running compression numbers that are just about even, so she has been used but maybe she still has some life in her for a few more years before a rebuild.

I didn't find a Min & Max compression rating--- I don't know what the compression rating on these cylinders were when new-- I'm guessing possibly between 190-200?

I just thought I would bring this back up--- I can't locate and compression minimum that I can find on the net, however I did read that these older V4s had low compression engines when new?? I don't know if there is any truth to that--- maybe someone who works on these older JOs can shed some light on this subject--- my compression numbers are good between all 4 cylinders and that's what I like to see

I just thought I would bring this back up--- I can't locate and compression minimum that I can find on the net, however I did read that these older V4s had low compression engines when new?? I don't know if there is any truth to that--- maybe someone who works on these older JOs can shed some light on this subject--- my compression numbers are good between all 4 cylinders and that's what I like to see

I have a 1990 90 hp Johnson. It's compression numbers are 120 122 124 122. I think you should be close to those. As you said, the main thing is they are all within 10% of each other. Your tester could be low, or mine could be a bit high.

I have a 1990 90 hp Johnson. It's compression numbers are 120 122 124 122. I think you should be close to those. As you said, the main thing is they are all within 10% of each other. Your tester could be low, or mine could be a bit high.

I think there is a lot of confusion on the net about outboard compression minimum PSI # -- some years have different # depending on manufacturer-- brand-- ect

Back