Logo

2005 Sea Pro 15hp 2 stroke

Jupiter Dinghy

Regular Contributor
Hi Mercurers!
Just coming for advice as I am considering the motor above to replace my old 9.9 Evinrude on my 13" inflatable.
First and foremost, what kind of compression reading should I get to be happy (with the understanding that both cylinders should be within 10% of each other)? 110? 120?
Secondly does anyone have experience with these motors? I hear the Sea Pro is the commercial version of the motor, is there any difference with the plain regular 15 hp 2 stroke?
Thanks!

Is it a tohatsu or mercury built motor? If it is a mercury built motor the weak spot will be the crappy lower unit they have.

The lower unit is weak it is the same unit as on the 6,8,9.9 motors. The driveshaft is really narrow by the pinion gear which is where they tend to shear off. The prop shafts are extremely easy to bend the lower just does not hold up well to the 15 hp motor. Mercury still offers a new lower unit for that motor because of the problems . it's a shame to because the powerhead is better than OMCs 15 hp. It is a loopcharged powerhead and generally a better runner.

Last edited:
The lower unit is weak it is the same unit as on the 6,8,9.9 motors. The driveshaft is really narrow by the pinion gear which is where they tend to shear off. The prop shafts are extremely easy to bend the lower just does not hold up well to the 15 hp motor. Mercury still offers a new lower unit for that motor because of the problems . it's a shame to because the powerhead is better than OMCs 15 hp. It is a loopcharged powerhead and generally a better runner.

Thanks Scott, that cooled me off.... and I actually noticed just by looking at it, that the LU is much skinnier than that of my old Evinrude. Not that it necessarily relates to inner components, but in this case I guess it does.

Back