Logo

Leaky float chamber??

Bastoe17

Picture attached (I hope I did it right)
150 Johnson. As you can see, those are two different carb float chambers. What is that little ball thing at the bottom of the float chamber? And why the heck is mine missing? It’s leaking very badly when I run the motor. Like, straight pouring out.

I can buy a new chamber for $30, but if there’s something else I can do for even cheaper, I’m all ears. And a couple of the others have a very slight leak out of that same spot, but those have that little ball or whatever in there. Is a slight leak normal? I assume not, but still wanted to ask. And if not, can I do anything to fix that?

TIA

Attachments

• 95277B2E-475A-4482-9823-F6E1AEE607AF.jpg
    95277B2E-475A-4482-9823-F6E1AEE607AF.jpg
    103.1 KB · Views: 26
That is a ball pressed in to seal passage. It has to be there!!!! It is common for these to weep as they get some age on them but good cleaning/prep and clear fingernail polish takes care of the weeps. Quit using it till fixed as a fire hazard!!!! Use a steel or aluminum ball and tap into place.

Brilliant!... In the main gasoline storage area of the carburetor they do away with the drain screw and washer that has proven itself since day one of the outboard era and instead now go the "BB" route depending on a small round piece of metal to contain a exploding force substance being held in place by friction within a vibrating high rpm hot internal combustion engine. Progress?

Brilliant!... In the main gasoline storage area of the carburetor they do away with the drain screw and washer that has proven itself since day one of the outboard era and instead now go the "BB" route depending on a small round piece of metal to contain a exploding force substance being held in place by friction within a vibrating high rpm hot internal combustion engine. Progress?
AH AH AH AH AH!!!! Man it's good to have you back Joe!
Gotta wonder how that "engineering marvel" passed testing before going into production (if there ever was any testing done on it)...

So what is the point of even having this? Why isn’t it sealed off completely from jump street? Seems like the epitome of engineered to fail.

So, to be clear, it’s perfectly fine for me to put clear fingernail polish (or anything, really) to seal the rest of these off as to avoid another leak??

That BB is supposed to be there and as Faztbullet said, DO NOT USE UNTIL FIXED. Fuel freely flowing out that hole can damage the engine by running lean on that cylinder and worst of all, you become a floating fire hazard.

I've heard it explained that after the float chamber is molded they have to drill a fuel passage. The BB (red arrow) is meant to plug the hole from the drilling sort of like a welch plug. The gasketed screw for the drain is still on the front (circled in blue).

The OP needs to either re-fit the hole with a new BB or buy a new float chamber. Also follow Faztbullet's advise to fix the weeps.

floatchamber.jpg

Back