Logo

1977 Evinrude 140HP water coming out of carburetor

Kbennett

i have 1977 evinrude 140hp v4. I just bought the boat and noticed when i stared it , with the rabbit ears running water, water is coming out of the carburetor. Especially after i tilt the motor. I also took one of the spark plugs out (top right) and there was water on it. Im thinking some sort of gasket between the head and cylinder, like a car. New gasket replacement?

No sir, this is a fresh water rig. Also i did a compression test and got 90's on the left bank top and bottom. took the head off and found the gasket is bad and old. Dont think this motor has been serviced in a very long time! Compression on right bank, top 60, bottom 80. Took head off and gasket was completely wrecked, nasty, and rotted. Top of piston pitted,but cylinders were smooth (surprisingly). replacing the gaskets, bolts, impeller (think i spelled that right,the water pump), and pray for the best. Ill keep you updated!! :mad::mad::confused::confused:

Okay, good.....Boobie was right. Hope rings are not stuck. Might be good to soak 'em down with "blaster" while heads are off. You can get some 240 wet or dry and place on your wife's coffee table, or alternatively anything very flat. Then using moderate pressure and water, surface heads in a figure eight pattern until they look decent. Clean threads of the head bolts with a wire brush, or wire wheel. Clean block threads with a 30 caliber, barrel brush on a cordless.....or any drill. Blow out the holes. Then LIGHTLY anti seize the bolt threads and torque to specs in proper sequence. You will have to look up torque and sequence, but you don't have to be too fussy. Maybe Joe Reeves can help with the torque.

Take the transfer port covers off and look at the rings on the pitted cylinder. Those motors like to break rings and use the correct size tap to clean threads.

I would expect 110 to 125 on your motor. Wide open throttle......it needs air to make max compression. All plugs out and good cranking speed. Should build top numbers by 5th revolution. 10 psi max differential between cylinders. I'd allow a little bit more for certain known conditions and/or defects. Definitely use a tap on headbolt holes if it doesn't come apart nice and clean. I evaluate holes......should be able to twist in the bolts without a socket/ratchet.

Back