Logo

1984 Johnson 8 HP

flash74

I was given a Johnson 8 HP outboard that had obviously been neglected. The shift lever is frozen. I have not address that yet. Most importantly, the driveshaft was solidly rusted into the crankshaft and the anode does not exist. Along with a salt water leak, could this be the cause? I have the entire motor in pieces and intend to fix it. I have managed to extract the driveshaft. They were great little motors and I already own a 1996 Rude 8HP. that is a gem. Any thoughts?

If the cranl and cylinder walls are serviceable everything else can be had. Pull the gearbox apart and inspect the driveshaft bearings propshaft and gear cluster. Hold off on buying anything until you determine the total cost of parts and availability.

I was given a Johnson 8 HP outboard that had obviously been neglected. The shift lever is frozen. I have not address that yet. Most importantly, the driveshaft was solidly rusted into the crankshaft and the anode does not exist. Along with a salt water leak, could this be the cause? I have the entire motor in pieces and intend to fix it. I have managed to extract the driveshaft. They were great little motors and I already own a 1996 Rude 8HP. that is a gem. Any thoughts?

I'm interested in knowing why the driveshaft was so embedded in the crank. is there an electrical problem or was it simple galvanic corrosion combined with salt water? I have seen what a stray current can do under those conditions. BTW. The driveshaft is steel. Not stainless. I'm sure the crank is also.

I believe the driveshaft was stainless when it left the factory !------Lack of maintenance and greasing the splines results in the rusting of the crankshaft.

There is supposed to be a oring in the groove below the splines on the driveshaft that keeps water out of the splines. Once comprimised the only thing you can do is grease the splines regularly may as well replace the impeller while your at it. You should replace the impeller at least every other year anyways. Use a high quality marine lithium grease on the splines.

Back