Logo

new owner here of Evinrude 77, 9.9

rumtum

I recently purchased a 9.9 that came with two props. the one on the motor is a 10 x 5", it has been on there a long time the prop on the edges is a bit rough (must have seen a lot of rocks close up) lol. the 2nd is 9 1/4 x 10" new in the box so I know he never had it on the motor. can anyone help with what I would notice different between the two propellers?

Wow.... the 10 x 5 will damage the motor? It looks like it’s the original prop.
The manual list the 9 1/2 x 10 as supplied with motor and list the 9 1/4 x 8, 10 x 5, and the 2 blade 9 x 10 as optional. I am just using it on 12-14’ fishing boat nothing fancy. Just trying to figure which will give me the best handling and speed overall.

Sorry, call your local outboard shop and ask them.-----Perhaps goggle ----outboard prop selection ----Lot of good / trusted information available to you.

Racerone thanks for your input. I am just learning all this stuff. The dealer I talked to said I should put both of them on and see which one gives what I am looking for. I just thought on here there are so many knowledgeable people that maybe someone knew.

I am suggesting to you that with the 5" the motor will rev too high.---That will result in big $$ damage to the motor.-----Perhaps you are waiting for an answer you like.-----Take the time to learn about pitch / diameter / load / rpm / drag on the water for different boats etc , etc.

I run a 79 9.9 hp motor with the 10" pitch prop on a 14' boat and it runs fine. I use a 7" pitch for trolling on my 16' boat. Use the 10" pitch and sell the 5 .

Flyingscott thanks for the answer, I think you are correct I think that is what I am going to do. Can’t sell the 5 like I said it was beat pretty bad up by some rocks or under water tree.

Back