Logo

2006 BF225 water leaking from top of motor

52ecgary

HELP New to me (2) 225's with 110 hrs. New impellers,O2 sensors, t-stats,fuel filters. Boat was stored with 22hrs from new until last year. New owner replaced all fuel components($7000), and ran for 80hrs until my purchase last month.

Ran fine for an hour then alarmed, check engine. Switch off then back on alarm goes away and stays off at rpm's below 32/3800.

When on static flush, water comes from top mid section of engine, but the source is out of my view ,with panels removed.
Can this be a water line disconnected? Telltale stream is good, water coming out exhaust.

Any help would be appreciated

Not sure of exactly where you say the water is coming out. Guessing here...

Yes - check the water hoses going to the thermostats. You should be able to do that by removing the engine cover. If not there, remove the upper cowlings. On the starboard side, check the water line connection to the water pump indicator (better known as the pisser.) On the port side, check the water line connection for the flusher hose. That flusher hose can easily come off if it is pulled hard enough when you hook up the flushing hose.

If not either of those, then you need to get to the VST by removing the intake manifold and check the water lines going to that.

Knock sensor is under the intake manifolds, sounds like you may have the dreaded corrosion hole behind the vapor separator which has wet and corroded the knock sensor plug.Get a flash light and try looking for water leaking from behind the fuel module

Ian - please expand on the "dreaded corrosion hole behind the VST." Would like to know more detail so I can check the next time I pull maintenance. Plus I think other folks on this forum would like to better understand it.

The V6s typically corrode from the water jacket on the inside at the base of the valley behind the vapour separator? That is why the new AK series have the two extra anodes situated in that water gallery I have mentioned before that necessitates power head removal to replace them.There is no way of checking, but this problem is a lot more prevalent on engines that are not properly flushed in accordance with manufacturer advice.

Just to be clear, I am not condemning the motors, pedantic care in a saltwster environment is essential on any marine engine, most failures relating to corrosion are the result of neglecting to maintain adequately .

Thanks for all the help, turns out to be the water supply line to the VST, I had anticipated much worse although these engines look new.

I think the shunt must be in place, too. If reset is successful, you will get two beeps on the alarm, just as if you had turned on the key switch.

Back