Logo

Johnson V4 Carb behavior

Filmtech1983

Hey all!!! I recently rebuilt the carbs on my 2000 Johnson 115 V4. I was having issues where it would be hard to start, run fine all day once started, then stall out when putting it on the trailer. I noticed that some of the cups were warped and one had a little leakage, so I pulled the carb bodies (not the throttle body), replaced all the gaskets and cups, new floats and needles, cleaned everything I could think of then put back together. I also pulled the needle valves, cleaned and returned to the original settings (5.75 turns, 6 turns, 7.5 turns, 6.5 turns). Got everything back together and it started right up after I got gas back into it. Runs a lot better than before and idles great at about 1000rpm. I was spraying some carb cleaner in the intakes and noticed that spraying into 3&4 on the port side did not have as much of a stalling effect as on 1&2. I covered carb 3 and the engine bogged down, but didnt die. I covered 4 and the engine barely reacted at all. If I cover 1 or 2, it dies right away. I can feel suction on both 3&4, 4 is quite a bit less, and after I cover the carb I take I can see gas misting inside. Before I did the carb rebuild, I had the marina do a spark test, compression test, and put it on the dyno to see if there was any issue there. Everything came back perfect. What could cause 3&4 to act like this? Thanks! Matt

2000 Johnson Ocean Pro - j115vxsss
14.8x17R aluminum BRP prop
34mph at 5400rpm WOT trimmed up
1999 HydraSport Bay Sport 20

Seems to run strong looking at your specs, but I would try another compression test. Remember, do it after motor is warmed up, all plugs out and WOT. Hot wire to solenoid.

Back