Logo

Power trim SUDDENLY slowed way down (1999 Johnson 35hp)

ba58smith

Power trim has always gone up and down quickly. Yesterday, suddenly, in the middle of trimming up, it got real slow. Now takes at least twice as long to go all the way up or down as before.

I've got 12.8V on the input side of the relays (post 30), but I can't get to the connections on the pump motor itself. Assume for a minute that I do have good voltage to the pump motor - what could cause it to suddenly get slow?

Thanks for any helpful input.

Bad electrical connection or tilt/trim motor needs work.

I can test all the connections (once I can get the boat out of the water). Is there a way to test the tilt/trim motor? If it has sufficient voltage, and doesn't operate properly, is that all I need to know to determine that it "needs work"? Or could something else be wrong? Finally, what does "needs work" imply? Can it be repaired, or do I simply replace it? Thanks in advance.

To test PTT motor...... Trace the wires from the electric motor back to its connector and disconnect it. Use small jumper wires from a good known fully charged battery to the two wires leading to the PTT motor. Reversing the wire connections cause the PTT motor to run in the opposite direction.

If the electric motor still runs slow, it obviously needs reworking or replacing. If however, the PTT once again runs at its normal fast speed..... a voltage drop exists, in which case, disconnect, clean and replace all wiring connections pertaining to the PTT assembly.

To test PTT motor...... Trace the wires from the electric motor back to its connector and disconnect it. Use small jumper wires from a good known fully charged battery to the two wires leading to the PTT motor. Reversing the wire connections cause the PTT motor to run in the opposite direction.

If the electric motor still runs slow, it obviously needs reworking or replacing. If however, the PTT once again runs at its normal fast speed..... a voltage drop exists, in which case, disconnect, clean and replace all wiring connections pertaining to the PTT assembly.

OK, sounds like basic motor / pump troubleshooting. Thanks. One more question: are the motor and the pump separate? So if the motor is bad, that's all I replace? Or are they really a single unit, removed and replaced as a single unit?

If the electric motor proves to be faulty, use caution that you do not lose or misplace the coupling that goes between the electric motor and the oil pump.

If the electric motor proves to be faulty, use caution that you do not lose or misplace the coupling that goes between the electric motor and the oil pump.

Thanks for that warning. I'm usually pretty careful with parts, but from what you're saying, that's not an easy one to replace. I'll be extra careful with it!

Back