Logo

J90TCLTE After Coil Replacement

Behemoth

Hi all! First time poster here. I am posting a similar thread on a few boat forums for reach. This place has been crazy helpful on top of watching Dangar Marine (Stu) on youtube.

I have this 90hp from 1983. I got this as a project last year and have had it out on the water a few times. I wanted to start documenting my process through video and get some opinions from everyone here.

When I got this the coils were rough looking. 1 had failed test completely and the rest tested fine. I replaced 2 of the coils. The one that failed and the next worst looking one. I finally got her up and running. Now I decided to replace the last 2 after redoing the carbs and letting her sit for a few months. I really didn't like the way they looked even though they tested fine. After the carb cleaning she was giving me a hard time to start after a few fishing trips but always got me back to the launch.

Today an swapped those last 2 coils. Coil #1 and #4 and she starts up like never before.

My question here is I noticed that there is a slight dip in RPM every so often. Similar to when I activate the primer at idle. Is this a moment where it is running rich and it just catches back up? Granted the video I took this is probably not warmed up very well. I put a little video here if anyone can take a look and give me suggestions. As you see at the beginning I have the whole entire manual so if I can get some opinions on how she idles on the muffs and anything else I should consider before tossing her back on the water I would be grateful.

Idle & Startup after Coil Change 9/17/18 - Johnson 90hp V4 1983 Crossflow J90TLCTE
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S9i54VZWNWE

Another thing to consider:
I will redo/verify the idle revs in the middle of the lake once I get it back in the water. This is similar to previous idle revs and I normally drop down within range when I am around 1100 on muffs.

Some feedback from the video I was told the little drop in rpm is negligible and I am being too concerned about it. Going to do some work on the remote box and reverify link and sync before taking it back out again. Please let me know if there are and more ideas!

Back