Logo

My tilt/trim mechanism works up, but not down

DonVila

I have a strange problem with my Mercruiser 120 outdrive. It tilts up consistently, but is very stubborn about lowering. Most of the time the switch just clicks, rather than activating the motor. Any ideas? Thanks in advance.

Ayuh,.... Sounds like either corroded up wirin' ends in that circuit, or the solenoid is burnt up,.....

I'd start by Cleanin', to shiny metal CLEAN, All of the trim wirin' connections, as it costs Nothin',....
If that don't fix it, swap out the solenoid,......

Ayuh,.... Sounds like either corroded up wirin' ends in that circuit, or the solenoid is burnt up,.....

I'd start by Cleanin', to shiny metal CLEAN, All of the trim wirin' connections, as it costs Nothin',....
If that don't fix it, swap out the solenoid,......

Thanks. I just looked at them. These may be original from the mid-eighties, and they're pretty cheap. I get a clicking back there, so that seems a likely solution. I'm going replace AND clean connection as you suggest. Thanks again.

I was having the same problem and with the advise of very helpful people here, I cleaned the wires on the solenoid and it works great again! This place rocks! Scott

Back