Logo

1959 Gray Marine Model 70 Flat head

I am new to the site but impressed with the knowledge being shared. In June I purchased a 1959 wood Correct Craft Atom Skier with a Gray Marine model 70 flat head four. After the expected minor repairs from it sitting for so long it is running great. I have not done a tune up on the engine because it cranks immediately and does not skip. (do not fix what is not broke) However, I need to change the oil and filter but have not been able to locate the oil filter. What am I not understanding?

Can say regarding your question....

Easiest way is to get the number off of the filter you have....

A quick peek in the WIX catalog suggests a 51049 but I didn't read the notes. Their www site will give you the critical dimensions and that's another way to find a filter....thread size and gasket dimensions are usually key....

I used to be a gear-head as a teenager but gave that up when I could no longer see the ground when I opened the hood of my car... Embarrassing as it is, I cannot locate the oil filter on this little flat head.

Got my answer and another answer. Old Flat head Gray Marine engines did not have an oil filter. AND, no thermostat either. This is why it is important to run a standard 30 weight oil because the engine never get real hot. I have observed this with mine and was concerned that it ever got over 80 degrees.

It would be worth adding a bypass filter on the engine. If you look at the bearings they're probably worn and full of deep scratches. It also would help save the cylinders, too.

Back