Logo

VST drain screw

xsplicer26

Contributing Member
I went to drain the VST on my 2006 BF225 and the drain screw is frozen. On some other post I read that it can be removed with a drill bit and an EZ out. Anyone have info on what sizes to use and possible pics or instructions to how to do this.

Thanks in advance.

Before going that route, hit it with PB Blaster and let it soak in for 24 hours, re-dosing it several times. After each dose, use a snugly fitting flat blade screwdriver and tap it with a light hammer a bunch of time. That helps the Blaster to get down into the threads.

I've found that the head will get rusty, but the threads usually remain in good shape. After dosing, use that slotted flat blade screwdriver and put channel-lock pliers on the handle to get leverage.

When you re-install, coat threads with anti-seize grease.

One thing I highly recommend is to order a replacement drain screw and Oring. Once you do get it out it’s possible the screw head may be compromised.

Well I did try getting it out with PB Blaster like Chawk suggested and I ended up stripping the head of the screw. Just my luck. I don't think the screw was ever opened on this motor, due to very poor maintenance by previous owner.
So now I have to try something else. My engine is running fine, so there is no urgency right now to remove it, especially with the rockfish season getting ready to heat up. Just want to be able to drain the VST.
Thanks for your replies, but may have to either remove the VST and bring to machine shop or try drilling it out myself.
And I will be ordering a new screw and O ring.

Last edited:
Removing the VST is not as daunting a task as I thought it would be. A shop manual is a big help and I highly recommend acquiring one. When/if you do decide to tackle the project I recommend ordering a set of left hand drill bits. They have saved my butt on multiple occasions. Periodically I’d also recommend (as Chawk has mentioned) continuing to soak the old screw down with PB blaster. That should help with the removal process

Yes, the only shop manual worth a darn is the official Helm Shop manual. It's about $126 on eBay or Amazon (although I'm not sure Amazon still sells it.) There are two versions, one for older motors (before the K1 series) and another for new motors, K1 and above. Make sure you get the one for your engine's SN.

Back