Logo

Volvo Penta ignition module?

Shaper79

Hello folks!! So I have s 2000 chap with the TBI 5.7L GSI. Volvo Penta. Iv been doing a tune up and wanted to go ahead and replace the ignition control module in the distributor. My question is do I need to get the Volvo Penta ignition controller module 180$. Or will the 60$ one from a popular Auto parts store be the same. It’s seems to me this is just a basic 350TBI Chevy motor. But idk. Thanks in advance.

Hello folks!! So I have s 2000 chap with the TBI 5.7L GSI. Volvo Penta. Iv been doing a tune up and wanted to go ahead and replace the ignition control module in the distributor. My question is do I need to get the Volvo Penta ignition controller module 180$. Or will the 60$ one from a popular Auto parts store be the same. It’s seems to me this is just a basic 350TBI Chevy Engine. But idk. Thanks in advance.

I'm not seeing a 5.7 GSI. However, I am seeing a 5.7 GSIPWTR.

http://www.marinepartseurope.com/en/volvo-penta-explodedview-7797467-28-35299.aspx

The ignition advance curve for the Marine Engine is quite different from that of it's Automotive cousin.

Since this is an EST system (Electronic Spark Timing) there is no advancing system within the distributor.
The system triggers the spark event at XX degrees full advance.
The ignition module then delays the spark event as per engine RPM.
If you were to change the delay, you will have effectively changed the ignition spark lead (advance) of which may cause engine damage via Ignition induced Detonation, for example!

I would stay with the OEM components.

Haa. That’s makes perfect sense. Thank you Ricardo marine. Now I’d like to find out what this marine Engine 5.7 GSI PEFS is set at from factory OEM. I know a Chevy truck with this year model engine is “cousin “ is 0 BTC.

Last edited:
Haa. That’s makes perfect sense. Thank you Ricardo marine. Now I’d like to find out what this marine Engine 5.7 GSI PEFS is set at from factory OEM. I know a Chevy truck with this year model engine is “cousin “ is 0 BTC.

Again..... this is likely NOT the same as the Automotive system.

The Marine Engine EST distributor will be initially indexed as to offer XX degrees of spark lead.
(I don't know what that exact lead is.... but let's say that it's 30 or 34 degrees BTDC)

Since it is impossible to create a remote spark event any earlier than it was initiated (physics does not allow for this), the system's module creates a delay.
This delay is progressive so that the spark event occurs at the correct crankshaft angle as per engine RPM.
In other words, this system completely relies on the electronic algorithm for the end result of spark lead as seen by each cylinder.

BASE advance (for example) will also be a result of the module's delay.

(see your OEM service or work shop manual for the BASE advance procedure and spec)

Once out of BASE mode (for the initial setting), the engine will fire up on, and will idle on, approx 8* BTDC.
(again..... see your OEM specs)

As RPM increase, the delay becomes progressively less.
Your engine will see approx 28* @ 3,200 rpm.

The automotive engine may see more degrees, and may see a completely different curve.

This is an example curve graph ONLY.
Note the RPM at which the advance stops increasing.
Note that the line graph at any given RPM is minus BASE advance.

Attachments

• Ignition advance line graph example only 3  .jpg
    Ignition advance line graph example only 3 .jpg
    99.9 KB · Views: 502
Last edited:
If it has the knock sensor, then the ECU controls the timing adjustments and the 'timing curve' in the module really doesn't matter....as long as it is installed correctly and 'fits'....

You can check the knock senser with a timing light. While watching the timing marks tap quickly on the block next to the knock senser the timing should retard with the noise. Do not tap on the senser they are very brittle.

If it has the knock sensor, then the ECU controls the timing adjustments and the 'timing curve' in the module really doesn't matter....as long as it is installed correctly and 'fits'....

The ignition advance is extremely important for a gasoline Marine Engine.

Back