Logo

Trailor questionI

jackd

Contributing Member
I have a ranger Cherokee boat and a ranger trail trailor. I bought a yr ago and put new hubs and wheel bearings and bearing buddies. I drove from Pa. to Colorado. It was fine. It sat for a yr till got a house. We went fishing 4 times and the 5th time today I had to slam the breaks. Little down the road both wheels started smoking. It sat for 30 min it was still hot. All the greas was every . I drove 40 min home with little breaking. I got home put in garage and was all cool.i have breaks where when put on breaks the trailor moves forward and that’s how the breaks work. Was it just locked up and when cooled down ok. I’m going to take the wheels off and repack and look over. What should I be looking for .Thanks Jack

Check, clean and grease the slide for the master cylinder. It sounds like the master cylinder was depressed if both drums got hot equally. If was only one drum then sticking shoes would be suspect. Annual service on the brakes and grease the flats on the plate.

Thank you very much. I bought and thought should put new bearing and I forgot the very important thing. Would you use calicone paste . I think that will be my yearly maintenance since goes in the water. I drive a hr to the lake. How long should sit before backing in water. I never had a issue since I have to get loaded up

I fixed the one side to find out the other side is bad. The breaks are burnt. The disc color changed and is black and the sides look red like the breaks , also the break cylinders plastic is melted a tad and needs replaced. Now do I need to replace the whole break cylinder. I hate to take a chance and have it happen again. Also to replace one side and not the other just doesn’t seem like the right way to fix it. I’ll try and post a pic Later. I could replace both break cylinders but not sure how to bleed breaks since can’t push peddle like a car . Anyway what’s your input. Thanks

There are videos on how to bleed trailer brakes one of those kits work good for one man bleeding just keep the resevor full. May as well do both the same.

Any idea of the cost. Also can it be gotten on this site. I like to try and support the ones who help me. Thanks . May be awhile

You can get the bleeder kit at any part store its just a small bottle you attach to a wheel cylinder bleeder. Open the bleeder one turn and attach the tube with the bottle higher than the cylinder then pump the master until no air bubbles go into the bottle.

Im doing some research on serge breaks. Im seem so many issues with them . Is it possible to change to other breaks. I don't want to have this happen every 6 times out. How do you feel about serge breaks and whats that thought on changing . Im going to be selling the boat next season I'm thinking after reading the reviews. Thanks

I think electric brakes are the right way to go in terms of safety, they are more efficient and easier on mainenance.
Here's the first video that showed up on youtube explaining how they work:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S1oTeUADBMM

as for the cost, it depends on the trailer capacity but the prices on some basic universal electic brake conversions are pretty reasonable.
You can bullpark the cost for your trailer on amazon https://www.amazon.com/Automotive-Replacement-Brake-Trailer-Brakes/b?ie=UTF8&node=15722891 or here https://www.carid.com/trailer-brakes/

Back