Logo

Repower question

Snowball271

New to forum thought I would see if I could get some opinions on what engines out there would be a good fit for me. I am a lobsterman in Maine. I own a 36 foot H&H with a 450 D9 Scania right now. The state has a program that would flip a portion of the cost if I repower with a newer engine. I believe Tier 3. The program allows you to increase hp by 20 percent. I would like to get the extra hp but don't know if a 550 or so would fit. So my question is what do you guys think are my top choices for engines that would fit. Any other pros and cons with different engines would be appreciated.(reliability,service,price) Thank you

I'd check around the local marinas to see who has exercised the state program....you may have to have a dealer do the install so the details would come from the dealer you opt to use....

Most everything new has computer controls = $$ when something fails....Some prefer the simplicity of mechanical only engines....really a personal choice.

Thanks for reply. I've talked with people that have used program. We can use any reputable local boatyard. I have some good options. All are good yards and dealers in many of the top engines. (Deer, Scania, Cummins, Cattepillar, etc.)

When you are picking your engine, ask about auxiliary controls that allows the engine to get-you-home when sensors or circuit boards fail. If you can get past the sales BS that is. Also look at the rating. Many new engines rated commercial can only be run 6-8 hours out of 12 at full rpm. And it's more than just the engine. Is existing shaft big enough and you'll probably need a different prop, bigger exhaust, bigger thru hulls, engine bed changes and so on. You may not be able to fit a bigger prop. And you'll burn more fuel for a couple knots.

Back