Logo

Tilt Operation Advice

bmbirch

I am a fairly new boat owner and would like some advice. I found a 1979 Birch Craft with a OMC 185 stern drive. The outdrive is an OMC 800. If anyone is familiar with the Birch Craft brand, I would like to know. It was my father's company based in Salt Lake City, Utah. It went out of business in 1980 (I was 3). I was lucky to find one and brought it back into the family. If anyone has any stories about Birch Craft, I would like to hear them.

Anyway...
When I got it, the tilt motor would not work in either direction (up or down). I did the typical trouble shooting checking the switch, relays and motor. I determined all the electrical components were in good condition and all connections were clean. I tested and had 12v getting to the tilt motor. I started looking at the mechanics of the tilt drive. I removed the clutch cover and found the typical sludge and rust. Oh yeah... the boat was sitting for about 14 years before I bought it. I started taking it apart to clean it up. I found that the worm drive and clutch were rusted and unable to move at all. Long story short, I got it all cleaned up and all the appropriate parts lubed and moving smooth as silk. I ended up packing the clutch with grease after getting some online advice.

The problem I am having is the tilt only works when it wants to. Usually, that is not when I am on the launch ramp. I can hit the switch with nothing happening. I keep attempting the switch repeatedly and eventually, it will kick in and go down. After a few hours on the water, I get the same thing. Nothing happens when I initially switch the switch. After a few attempts, the tilt will raise part of the way. It will then stop working again. After repeating this procedure a few times, it will finally go all the way up. I've never had it not go up, but I'm scared that one day it will not. I feel comfortable manually raising it if needed, but that would not be fun on the ramp.

I was thinking there may be a short somewhere, but don't really know where to start the investigation. Is there a common problem with these symptoms?

I am also thinking there is not enough power to run the tilt motor without the engine running. If I am getting 12v to the motor, that should be enough, right? Can I run the engine and take it out of gear and tilt the outdrive up? I know the potential damage to the ball gears when tilting up when in gear. Is this the same when it is not in gear?

Any advice or thought on this would be appreciated. My father passed a few years back and unfortunately, I can not ask him for advice.

Bryan Birch

The tilt motor is located on the lower right side of the engine against the transom. As these motors age they get water inside and cause the motor not to work every so often. Best option is to replace the motor. Finf the OMC model number on the vale cover or spark arrestor on top of the carburetor. You can find the part drawings on our sire here or call us and we can find it for you.

Back