Logo

1992 Evinrude 150...runs great out of water dies under load

Phogan49

Hello all. New to the forum. Looking for some help.

Recently purchased a new to me boat with a 1992 Evinrude 150 V6 Spitfire. (E150EXEN). The boat and motor ran great for two trips. Third trip the boat would not plane out and was hitting the rev limiter. Mechanic took it and found a clip got sucked under the fly wheel and did damage to the stator and flywheel. He replaced plugs, stator, flywheel, optic sensor, and power pack. Got the boat back and hit the water with all running great.

Next day took the boat back out. Boat started up and at the launch ran normally for about 30 seconds. Boat started to slowly die at idle and if put in gear would die instantly. So figured the carbs would be the problem. Did run the boat on the muffs at home and ran great.

Came home, bought new rebuild kits and rebuilt them. Also replaced all the bowls because they were the plastic ones and were visibly warped.

Next day started her her up in the yard on the muffs. Let it run for a bit. Revved it up with no problems not higher than 2000rpms to avoid damage. Took her to the ramp and the boat still dies slowly as soon as it’s in the water. This time as it’s dying in neutral, if I give it throttle in neutral she comes back to life. I let it warm up for a bit and it actually started to seem like it was going to run nice. Shut it down and restarted it to check and it was right back to trying to die on me.

other than increasing the idle throttle im pretty stumped I’ll try this in the morning. Any other ideas? I don’t really want to drop $2,000 again at the mechanic. Thanks in advance

PS
motor has spark and has equal good compression in all cylinders.

Back