Logo

Exhaust hotter on starboard side

MarkGio

I have a merc 8.2 l 2011 fuel injected that is running exhaust temp on starboard side 30 degrees hotter than port. Heat gun shows around 195-200 degrees after running at high rpm . Temp gauge at helm is showing 190 degrees.
boat is at mechanic he has checked everything took off manifold etc.. he is sure it is not a water problem boat is getting proper circulation. Boat runs great and engine temp in other areas are good just hot exhaust on one side. Any suggestions.?

I have a merc 8.2 l 2011 fuel injected that is running exhaust temp on starboard side 30 degrees hotter than port. Heat gun shows around 195-200 degrees after running at high rpm . Temp gauge at helm is showing 190 degrees.
boat is at mechanic he has checked everything took off manifold etc.. he is sure it is not a water problem boat is getting proper circulation. Boat runs great and engine temp in other areas are good just hot exhaust on one side. Any suggestions.?

I would say that the mechanic is incorrect, or has not thought it through completely!

Water (seawater) is the means of cooling (removing heat from) our engines..... whether it be directly (raw water cooled engine) or via a closed cooling system.

I agree with Jeff below.
Under normal conditions, and baring that there are no issues with the seawater pump......... the seawater will flow equally through each exhaust side.
If one side is operating hot, it is typically due to a restriction on that side.
Find the restriction, and you will have found the issue!

Poor water flow to that side. Usually caused by a restriction where the water and exhaust meet.

Jeff

I agree with you guys that his has to be a blockage somewhere from everything I have read. He originally thought it was clogged oil cooler, now he has exhaust manifold off to look for blockage and found nothing, after putting everything back together it still running same temp.. He is saying it is hot exhaust coming straight out of the head and he is now going to hook up a computer to check the temperature sensors and see if it could be the injectors.. Unfortunately I am not a mechanic and we boat in a rural part of Kentucky so I am at the mercy of the local mechanic. If I continue to run boat the way it is will this cause damage to engine down the road?
I would say that the mechanic is incorrect, or has not thought it through completely!

Water (seawater) is the means of cooling (removing heat from) our engines..... whether it be directly (raw water cooled engine) or via a closed cooling system.

I agree with Jeff below.
Under normal conditions, and baring that there are no issues with the seawater pump......... the seawater will flow equally through each exhaust side.
If one side is operating hot, it is typically due to a restriction on that side.
Find the restriction, and you will have found the issue!

I agree with you guys that his has to be a blockage somewhere from everything I have read. He originally thought it was clogged oil cooler,
The oil cooler would be up-stream from any seawater flow division. In other words, a restriction here would affect everything after it.

now he has exhaust manifold off to look for blockage and found nothing, after putting everything back together it still running same temp..
Did he look closely at the seawater transfer ports? These are the surrounding ports that send the "spent" seawater into the elbow and out through the exhaust flow!

He is saying it is hot exhaust coming straight out of the head and he is now going to hook up a computer to check the temperature sensors and see if it could be the injectors..
A very lean scenario may cause high exhaust gas temps..... however, I'd say that this is a long shot in that it affects one bank more than the other!

Unfortunately I am not a mechanic and we boat in a rural part of Kentucky so I am at the mercy of the local mechanic. If I continue to run boat the way it is will this cause damage to engine down the road?
I would be concerned with the engine temp being at 195* to 200*.

Thanks for your input. This has been a very frustrating process. Update. I talked to mechanic he assures me he has taken everything apart checked everywhere for blockages and engine is getting equal amounts of water flow on each side.

Plugs on starboard side had white tips indicating that side def running hot. Hopefully someone can find an answer, first Labor Day weekend without a boat. Thanks again. It’s nice to see people concerned of other boaters problems and are willing to help

Back